1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 super duty vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 PM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, new update. They have had it almost 3 weeks now, only to call me today and reiterate it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Funny how it took them that long to figure that out, isn't it.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Thumbs down

Got my truck back yesterday. All paperwork falsified by Ford dealer. Said could not replicate problem, though service manager told me on the phone he could. Also, he told me on the phone that he put on a new driveshaft, and every shim ford makes to try to fix it. They also brought a tech in from Detroit to work on it, yet all paperwork states is "could not replicate". Any suggestions?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
maine250SD
New User
Its been a while since I checked on this forum for this topic. I have had this problem and got the dampening kit installed. No luck. None. My ford dealer said they will have to start from scratch. Which I would have to pay for. It has gotten to me so much I am looking at trading it in for another truck (Chevy or GMC). I would hate to but it is driving me crazy. I too have thought about the class action law suit that someone here asked about. I don't know how many of us are out there to make it worth while, but something should be done. Does anyone know a good lawyer? Here is a thought. Ford says there is NOTHING wrong with the trucks that do this. Its normal. Ok..so why on earth did they spend the time and money engineering and manufacturing a part to "fix" the "problem" that does not exist.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 PM
maine250SD
New User
I have the damper kit on my truck and it did not help so if anyone else out there would like to try the kit. I would sell the kit for $150., I will pay for shipping. I get all my parts for wholesale so I paid $250 for it, I am not sure how much it is retail. Anyway...If you want to try it and save some money let me know, I'd be happy to send it out and hopefully someone else will have better luck. I do know of some folks that used it with good success.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 AM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Maine,
there is someone that is instituting a suit. My estimates from what I've heard is that up to 1 in 10 of these super duties have this design flaw. Ford is going to be in a lot of trouble if enough people get on board on this one. This truck has design flaws in both the front and rear supspension systems, causing the truck shake, wobble, oscillations, bouncing, and the infamous death wobble. There is an NHTSA case already about some of these issues. There is going to have to come a day of reckoning for Ford.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 AM
fordmann
Mountain Pass
Howdy. I have a 05 F250 cc lb 6.0 4x4. The lat couple of comments about this vibration makes alittle sense to me. The one feller said he had his rearend rebuilt with 47,000. I have 58,000 on mine and thought it was the bigger tires. I also changed wheels. It could quite possibly be the clutches in the lsd. Anybody changed a rearend yet?

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance!!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordmann
Howdy. I have a 05 F250 cc lb 6.0 4x4. The lat couple of comments about this vibration makes alittle sense to me. The one feller said he had his rearend rebuilt with 47,000. I have 58,000 on mine and thought it was the bigger tires. I also changed wheels. It could quite possibly be the clutches in the lsd. Anybody changed a rearend yet?

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance!!
Did yours do it before the bigger tires?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
2 different thoughts here;

Do all of the trucks that have this bouncing problem have a factory limited slip differential? Could the limited slip somehow cause the bounce?

Originally I thought maybe the problem was with some sort of resonant frequency of the long wheel base frame. If it is a resonance of the frame (see Tacoma Narrows Bridge, or Galloping Gertie) then altering the frame would change the resonant frequency and solve this problem. Any sort of cross member, firmly attached to the frame near the forward part of the bed, should change the resonance.

With the Tacoma Narrows bridge failure, a breeze was magnified by the structure of the bridge. The force of the breeze would build, and build, and build....pretty soon the bridge was bouncing so much that it was impossible to drive on it. A stiff breeze provided enough force to cause the structure to fail.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 PM
DJR96
Senior User
Wink

Here's an article on the Tahoma bridge:-
http://oldsite.vislab.usyd.edu.au/photonics/fibres/fibre/tacoma0.html

Brief but intertesting.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 PM
maine250SD
New User
Most of you guys are beyond me in the technical department. My truck is stock but for new tires. I didn't have a problem with my truck until 42,000 miles. I now have 64,000. I think it is only long wheelbase F250/350's. Is that right? Are there any out there with short beds having this problem? I feel Wobbly Fords pain. He is extremely frustrated as I am as well. It is driving me NUTS!! How do we find out information about the class action law suit? P.S. I went to a Chevy dealership today...just to look. :-)

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 PM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by DJR96
Here's an article on the Tahoma bridge:-
http://oldsite.vislab.usyd.edu.au/photonics/fibres/fibre/tacoma0.html

Brief but intertesting.
So maybe we should call our trucks galloping gerties, like they named the bridge. We can start a new fad.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
wobbly ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by maine250SD
Most of you guys are beyond me in the technical department. My truck is stock but for new tires. I didn't have a problem with my truck until 42,000 miles. I now have 64,000. I think it is only long wheelbase F250/350's. Is that right? Are there any out there with short beds having this problem? I feel Wobbly Fords pain. He is extremely frustrated as I am as well. It is driving me NUTS!! How do we find out information about the class action law suit? P.S. I went to a Chevy dealership today...just to look. :-)
I found out about it by doing google searches on "death wobble" and other words mixed with super duty, etc. Sorry to hear about your lemon, mine has done it since the day I drove it home (my bad for not taking it right back). If I new then what I know now, I would have.
A lot of interesting reading on this site http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/for...I3MFSU9BGKAANI

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Interesting article, but we need to keep the two incidents separate. Steering wheel oscillation (death wobble) isn't the same as this Super Duty bounce.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 PM
DJR96
Senior User
Wink

As much as I like Ford's product, as a whole it may well still be the best. Here in Australia, ambulances have been based on both the F250 and the equivalent Chevy. There has been a number of instances where the Chev's have folded up, chassis has collapsed at the back of the cab. Admittedly it's usually been involved in an accident itself. But still, no chassis should just fold up like that.

If you've read my project (link in sig. below) you'll see I've been making my own chassis. So I shouldn't have the problems you guys have had.
It's been an interesting experience and I have learnt a lot. One thing in particular, the compromises and shortcuts the manufacturers make in designing and building their vehicles. Namely the use of a C section chassis to start with. It is SO old school it's not funny. Sure it has reasonable beam strength, but hopeless torsionally (I've got a photo of a stripped chassis thats flexing with just a few inch's of uneven ground). It's only made this way because it is cheap and easy to mass produce. The Japanese designed trucks all use two C sections faced together to form a box section. Quite frankly, it's a much better design. Less steel required too.

Ford really needs to get up to date with just the fundamentals of chassis design. The current design is way past it's use-by-date, yet they increase the GVM's etc and now wonder why theres problems.

I feel for you guys that are having problems. Good hard earnt money spent on such a fundamentally flawed vehicle truly sucks.

Personally, I think the surest fix will be to plate the inside of the chassis (forming a box section) from the front spring hanger of the rear axle to just behind the fuel pump/filter. Even 3mm (1/8") would make a huge difference I think. But obviously it's quite a job and goes against Ford's recommendations about chassis welding and repairs. But I think any decent engineer could see the benefit.

Now if only I was in the US. I could make up a kit to weld in. I'm sure someone could do it. Hell, I could make up a profile and post it to someone that was prepared to get the engineering approval work sorted.

Now you'll have to read my thread below.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
brmpipes
Elder User
i have the bounce also.Mine was not apperent till i put the 37in tires on.I also have a 8in lift by rize.My short box extendacab 4x4,bounces at about 65-70 miles per hour.not always but probley about 30% of my highway miles.I also had the death wabble till i lifted the truck and put a steering damper on.Thought it was the tires but did everything to correct it.Still no happy.Nice truck,wouldnt buy anything else.Shame about the rest.

Quick Reply: 2006 super duty vibration