1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 super duty vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 PM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06' F-350 S-Cab, S-Bed has No Carrier bearing on the rear driveshaft,,,so it can't be that !!
And yet I still get the Hopping/Bouncing at 40 to 45 mph,,,I do have the LS w/3:73's and 18"wheels!

The Bouncing on my truck is slight,,,But Hook up to my 4 ton Equipment trailer,,,it at times give's me the J"J"Jitter's.

I have pulled my Buddy'd trailer a few times,,,a Homemade setup,,,longer from Hitch to axle's,,,that trailer(more tounge weight)pulls Good, No shakes or Bounce's with that trailer!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 PM
PattonC222
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three year thread and no cut and dry solution, damn shame. Mine hops a little from about 41-44. Smooth the rest of the time, only had the truck a week so haven't towed yet but looking forward to pulling the boat tomorrow afternoon and see what happens. Any updates from any one else or did everyone hock their trucks?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 AM
ford4x4s
Senior User
i pretty much gave up.....had driveshafts balanced...new u joints...put angle bracing on cross member.....tires balanced, rotated....i starting to think might be front bearings because it humms a little more when i turn hard. ive been driving with it for 6 months since last attempt at repair. i dont think my vibe (2002 f250) is same as what guys with 06s experience

Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
drgnner
New User
(New user) ... and this fixed it? I need to call the dealer as my 06 sd is in right now for that cursed vibration.

Originally Posted by nuke20000
I think I fixed it !!!!! In my case anyway. I was putting my tire back on that I removed the other night in my troubleshooting efforts. I decided to check the rear wheel bearings. THEY WERE BOTH VERY LOOSE. I checked them with the tire off the ground. I put the floor jack handle under the dually tire and was able to move them up and down. The drives side was the worst. It made a clunking sound while moving it. Got the service manual out and they say you should have .000 end play with the preload set right. Drivers side had .080 and the other side was .060 and that would explain why putting 500# or towing would make it stop. You are loading the bearing with the wieght. Also why it never went away with the other things I have tried. Different tires , tire balance, driveshaft work. Adjusted the bearing per the manual and drove it last night and then to work this morning and it is fixed. The special socket you need for the Dana rear end is about $18.00 but I already had that from my other trucks. I hope this helps someone out there. I am happy now.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM
drgnner
New User
Ok, called the dealer (service manager) and he said "no, it can't be that". I asked him if they have had to replace axle seals and he said that they sure have done that a lot. To me your fix makes sense.

When I get it back, it will have very nicely balanced tires again and I will pull this apart and check the bearings myself.

Originally Posted by drgnner
(New user) ... and this fixed it? I need to call the dealer as my 06 sd is in right now for that cursed vibration.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 AM
drgnner
New User
Well the bearings are fine. Pinion seal is leaky and one leaf on the rear spring (drivers side) was cocked out about 3/4 of an inch from the other leafs. The driveshaft carrier bearing is resting on the bracket. The rubber is still in tact from what I can see.

Ill fix what is obvious and imagine Ill live with the vibration between 46-48 mph.

Originally Posted by drgnner
Ok, called the dealer (service manager) and he said "no, it can't be that". I asked him if they have had to replace axle seals and he said that they sure have done that a lot. To me your fix makes sense.

When I get it back, it will have very nicely balanced tires again and I will pull this apart and check the bearings myself.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 AM
drgnner
New User
I tightened the U-bolts and now the have a more high freq vibe, including the front. Why would that be? Ive been living with it for over 100k. I cannot imagine what happened when it began (20k+) that would cause it. I wish something would break so I could repair it and be done with it all. As far as "hocking" this thing, who would want a truck that rides like this for what I need to replace it? I hope someone finds this bug. I really hate giving up.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM
PattonC222
Senior User
Sorry to hear of the new development, I am just going to have to live with mine. I am thinking Ford knows exactly what the problem is but won't own up to the flaw for some reason.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
drgnner
New User
I took my truck in for an alignment at a frame shop. They lifted the truck, started the engine and put it in gear. They pointed out that my Michelin tires were all out of round. It was very obvious. 21k on the tires. I got new tires (got ripped off by Michelin) and put the truck in the air and noticed a sight out of round on the tires, but not on the rim. Axle seems perfect. I wonder now if all along it has been a tire problem.

PS. We used to assault the Michelin rubber plantations where I was once stationed in the Army. Maybe this is revenge or just crappy tires.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 AM
hip2bfit
New User
Figured out the issue on mine

Third go around with Les Schwab, don't get me wrong these guys were professional and treated me right - but it took three tries to get the vibration out of my truck. I yanked my 38" ProComp knobby's off and plunked down some change for a set of these Toyo M/T's I've been hearing about. I got about 300 yards down the road and thought all the fillings were gonna fall out of my teeth as soon as I hit 45MPH. After several trips back to the store over a three week period - they finally figured out one of the tires was out of spec. (Out of round) - not by much, but with big rubber it doesn't take much. They warrantied it out, remounted all the tires, road force balanced everything and no more vibration!

Hope that helps, check your tires before you throw too much green at the suspension.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 AM
PattonC222
Senior User
It seems like there are a few factors at work here. The bfg's on my truck are chopped and two are out of round, the original owner didn't rotate them for 25k miles by the look of them. Just had a 2 inch procomp kit put in with 4 es9000 shocks and all new brake rotors and now she is as smooth as can be. A very faint hop at 42-45 but even when you are looking for it it is hard to notice. I don't know which mod is responsible but I am happy with the result. Hopefully it lasts.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Mike-11
Senior User
Ok guys there is a post here on Death wobble again.

It show a new product for the death wobble from Ready Lift called Super Duty Anti Wobble Track Bar. Got to check it out.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Mike-11
Senior User
Sorry, the post is Death Wobble Strickes Again. It also shows a video on the new product. Again it's from ReadyLift and it will cost about $799.00

good luck

Old 11-11-2014, 09:54 AM
mcducky
New User
If the vehicle is a diesel, try changing the ICP, That is what fixed my 03 F250 6.0 vibration. I fought with the driveline for 2 years and found a article about the icp being bad and sending wrong signal to computer. I had done everything, new tires, new u joints a couple of times, drive shaft balanced, carrier bearing couple of times. Truck rides smooth again and engine runs much stronger too. Might not be the cure for everyone's truck but you are throwing money at it anyways, just like I did. Hope this helps someone. It is sites like this one that helps with the problem we have and the mechanics say there is nothing wrong. Have a blessed day.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:19 AM
Stan B
New User
vibration

FROM WHAT I HAVE FOUND OUT IS THEY DON'T BALANCE THE DRIVE SHAFT AT THE CARRIER BEARING I PUT A HOSE CLAMP ON THE DRIVE SHAFT AND GOT IT TO GO AWAY THEY NEED TO BALANCE THE DRIVESHAFT AT THE CARRIER BEARING.

Quick Reply: 2006 super duty vibration