Super Charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:25 PM
fordpower460
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Charger

I posted this in performance and general engine building and no one would answer me...I need to beef up the power of my 95 460 so i can turn the 39.5's better. who makes a good efi performance cam that wont screw up 460 computer? also who makes a good s/c kit for my 95 f-250 460? does it make that cool s/c noise, also i dont know if i have mass air? how do i tell..if i dont have it how much does it cost? how much trouble would it be to put it in? also i have not found anybody who makes headers for my truck or am i not looking hard enough? who makes headers for my 95 460 4x4 5 speed i know they will have to be shorty header's who makes these and for a reasonable price? also considering msd 6a ingition, msd blaster coil, and a custom burnt Diablo Chip off of here would like it custom burnt with the s/c and header's and ignition, i realize i would run premium fuel w/ the chip and s/c no biggie

1995 F-250 Ext. Cab 4x4 Off-Road, 4.10LS 460 5 Speed xlt, Black, Grey Interior,Running lights, Sky Jacker 6" lift and 39.5" Super swampers, 3" Skyjacker Body Lift with 16.5" aluminums, K&N FIPK, cowl induction hood, grille guard with 12,000lb Warn winch, Rancho Dual Shock kit Front and rear, Rancho Dual Steering stabilizer, true dual exahust with 3" pipe dynomax race mufflers! and 4 inch tips exiting at rear corners, RhinoLiner, cleaned out Kitty Cat , Roll Bar with KC HiLites, soon to have lockers this is no show truck it is taken off road as much as possible

Old 12-31-2001, 01:46 AM
ddestruel
Senior User
Super Charger

How much are you willing to spend, long headers are the only way to go in the 460, 1997 Doug Thorley's were what i got and i was tickled, im selling em right now. Also a MAF conversion is in your future if you really want performance. The way to tell MAF is if you have two tubes or one coming from your air box one is MAF. check out pictures on posted string.
MAF is around 600-1000 dollars basicallyu a older 302 Speed density with the same firing order conversion kit from motorsport. a 1970 429 cam timing chain, and some serious head work will also give you some power, next are pistons and injectors 10.5 - 10.25:1 and look out. with MAF cams are what ever you choose or on thee string i posted is a cam # and profile if you want to keep your speed density. Email me for more info i might be able to help a little. or check out my trials and errors. Steer clear of the chip till later i advanced my basic ignition timing to 12-13* and got about the same performance 300 dollars less. with the other upgrades youll be really busy.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/80_96/4544.html#23
Good Luck
Dusty
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=474&.jpg

F-250 now 350 4x4 ext cab SB Green Monster mass air 460, custom heads w/E40D to 5spd conversion, 205 T-case 4.11 gears, Doug Thorleys and converted 33 gallon bronco rear tank. Soon to be a 5.9L cummins diesel 5spd.

Old 12-31-2001, 02:56 AM
fordpower460
Freshman User
Super Charger

Thank You For your reply you were very helpful in your reply im looking to spend 3-4 grand in the engine i really need to turn the 39.5's better in the mud cause they tend to bog down even in 1st gear and so i can beat my buddies 95 ext cab gmc 4x4 with 6" rancho and 36" Super Swamper TSL's he got a 350 with header's automatic, power chip, throttle body spacer he beats by a truck length or 2 each time cuz i weigh about 1000lb more and have to trun larger tires and im a totally stock 460 with 39.5's SS TSL's also i think this 460 has so much untapped power and i think it needs warming over, Thank you once again

1995 F-250 Ext. Cab 4x4 Off-Road, 4.10LS 460 5 Speed xlt, Black, Grey Interior,Running lights, Sky Jacker 6" lift and 39.5" Super swampers, 3" Skyjacker Body Lift with 16.5" aluminums, K&N FIPK, cowl induction hood, grille guard with 12,000lb Warn winch, Rancho Dual Shock kit Front and rear, Rancho Dual Steering stabilizer, true dual exahust with 3" pipe dynomax race mufflers and 4 inch tips exiting at rear corners, RhinoLiner, cleaned out Kitty Cat , Roll Bar with KC HiLites, soon to have lockers this is no show truck it is taken off road as much as possible

Old 12-31-2001, 12:42 PM
ddestruel
Senior User
Super Charger

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-Dec-01 AT 01:47 PM (EST)]The head work was excellent, it ran around $500 bucks a friend did the porting and combustion chamber polishing, local shop put in larger CJ valves then heavier springs and roller rockers were robbed from a blown race motor, the MAF conversion will run you $1000, call ford motorsport, the tech service and ask them about getting a MAF conversion for a 302 with the old firing order. Or look around. youll have bugs either way with a MAF conversion. a set of Kieth Black 10:1-10.5:1 pistons will work great and the cast em for the EFI 460 i think around $600, youll have to go to 30# injectors and a recaliberated MAF meter probably $500+, If i had gone on with my motor i was looking for about .534 lift, that is what i have heard to aim for in terms of best performance. The 1970 timing chain like i said puts the cam at center instead of retarded Headers vary, look for a good set with heavy flanges they dont warp under the heat produced by the EFI motor, they run $500-1200 or find a bump and scratch set on ebay for 250 or 300. With those mods that 460 ought to be bumpin some pretty impressive HP numbers alot moree than a pethetic little small block. You might also look to your gears, 4.10's on 39.5's is a little high, a change to 4.56's or even 4.88's will put you really close to stock performance. Also just curious have you changed to the dana 60 front yet? or blown a R&Pinion out of the dana 50 front? I did so thats why i ask.

Also i might add that anymore, a supercharger like a Kenne Bell which is the kind preffered for a 460 is no longer made, runs around 2500 used and can some times require some serious installation headaches. I think you will find that with the gear change and a motor build up you will be more than happy with that power house you have.

Dusty

F-250 now 350 4x4 ext cab SB Green Monster mass air 460 w/5spd conversion 205 T-case 4.11 gears, Doug Thorleys and converted 33 gallon bronco rear tank. Soon to be a 5.9L cummins diesel 5spd.

Old 12-31-2001, 01:36 PM
fordpower460
Freshman User
Super Charger

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-Dec-01 AT 02:38 PM (EST)]Wow you have really helped out i never thought of maybe checking the d50, you know to think of it does make some odd noises every now and then maybe i should look into that... i think you are correct if i warm the 460 over instead of "slapping" a s/c on it, also it will add more life to the engine if i do a rebuild now and hop it up just a tad. what was the down time of you truck when you went maf and total cost, how about the head work? well i appreciate your help thank you for your time i need some time to look into this and price stuff out and also research make sure im not getting knee deep in it before i realize it, yeah i have been meaning to get some 4:56 w/ detroit lockers maybe next month
1995 F-250 Ext. Cab 4x4 Off-Road, 4.10LS 460 5 Speed xlt, Black, Grey Interior,Running lights, Sky Jacker 6" lift and 39.5" Super swampers, 3" Skyjacker Body Lift with 16.5" aluminums, K&N FIPK, cowl induction hood, grille guard with 12,000lb Warn winch, Rancho Dual Shock kit Front and rear, Rancho Dual Steering stabilizer, true dual exahust with 3" pipe dynomax race mufflers and 4 inch tips exiting at rear corners, RhinoLiner, cleaned out Kitty Cat , Roll Bar with KC HiLites, soon to have lockers this is no show truck it is taken off road as much as possible

Old 01-02-2002, 02:47 PM
ddestruel
Senior User
Super Charger

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-02 AT 03:51 PM (EST)]Good Idea to research before jumping in, i spent close to a year and a half researching before i went with my MAF kit and the modifications i did. Just sat around saving money until then. LOL

when my D50 went, it was a factory flaw, the roll pin holding the spider gear shaft, the pinn fell out allowing the shaft to drop into the ring gear in 4x4, on glare ice at 45-50 mph, a couple of 360s latter and an axle and driveline, i decided to install the larger dana 60 9.75 ring gear vs the d50 at 8.25( or what ever it was), it was around 550-600 for new bearings, a set of spiders and the R&P, vs 800 for a completely setup ready to bolt in Dana 60. It also improved steering geometry and reduced tire wear. Also i ran some more numbers with the 39.5's if you want original factory 4.10 gear perfomance #'s interms of RPMS out of the 460 on the highway, 5.13s seemed to be closer, but you would probably be better off checking the numbers yourself. Have you ever checked your front axle joints?

The MAF resulted in about 2 hours of down time. It was realitively easy to install. The Head work took about 10 days, a friend of mine builds alot of race Big block and small block Hemis so in his free time (no cost), since he had the equiptment and the ties to local shops, he took my heads and ported them, put the larger CJ valves milled the heads .10 and polished the c-chamber, also he port matched the headers to the heads. He had a set of roller rockers from one of the juck motors brought to him and then put in heavier valve springs. We were getting parts ready to do the rest of the engine when i changed gears and went to the diesel idea. Kinda gotta wonder what i was thinking.

In the Ford motorsport catalog you should be able to find all the parts to build a EFI 460 with all these modifications and the prices.

1. Probably the MAF will be a total of 1000 will all the tailoring and added little glitch solutions, remember that MAF does not give you any more power it just opens the door to serious modifications and it more efficiently uses the modifications you have.
2. Head work with all of what i did is probably worth about $800-1000

How many miles are on your motor?

Hope this helps a little more
Dusty

F-250 now 350 4x4 ext cab SB Green Monster mass air 460 w/5spd conversion 205 T-case 4.11 gears, Doug Thorleys and converted 33 gallon bronco rear tank, Dana 60 front w/ Power-Lok. Soon to be a 5.9L cummins diesel 5spd.

Old 01-02-2002, 04:39 PM
fordpower460
Freshman User
Super Charger

Yeah my truck has 118,000 it just rolled over that today. my rpms at 70 mph in OD is about 2400 +/- 50 rpms it calculates out to 2441 rpms but i think my tach is just a tad off, maybe it's time to get my speedo recalibrated and maybe install an aftermarket tach because im considering and engine warm up??? but after calculating it with the 4:56 rear end installed it's at 2715 rpms@70 mph, and then with the 4:88 rear end its at 2905@70 mph, then with 5.13's it's at 3054@70 mph but remember these are just math figures i have done not actual real life, hell these could even be wrong im open for critisism if my calculations are worng..i will look into the d50 and 60 in a month or so hope it can last that long how you like your powerlock? yeah do you think maybe i could could buy those heads off of ya? as soon as you go to cummins...possibly your whole motor? well time 2 go hope i didn't miss anything

1995 F-250 Ext. Cab 4x4 Off-Road, 4.10LS 460 5 Speed xlt, Black, Grey Interior,Running lights, Sky Jacker 6" lift and 39.5" Super swampers, 3" Skyjacker Body Lift with 16.5" aluminums, K&N FIPK, cowl induction hood, grille guard with 12,000lb Warn winch, Rancho Dual Shock kit Front and rear, Rancho Dual Steering stabilizer, true dual exahust with 3" pipe dynomax race mufflers and 4 inch tips exiting at rear corners, RhinoLiner, cleaned out Kitty Cat, Roll Bar with KC HiLites, soon to have lockers this is no show truck it is taken off road as much as possible

Old 01-02-2002, 11:14 PM
ddestruel
Senior User
Super Charger

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-Jan-02 AT 00:33 AM (EST)] Would love to sell you the heads, but i sold the whole motor two weeks ago to fund buying the cummins. Might i mention that the 460 had 205000 miles on it and i got rid of it for $1400 with a ZF that had a cracked housing, well used clutch, burned syncros and was in need of bearings and the engine had bad injectors, a wore out water pump, a field job set of lifters and i think was developing a flat spot in the cam. The heads had about 30K on them. I was really honest with the guy, he insisted that it was everything he needed so he made me an offer and i couldnt refuse. No way was i going to be hide anything when he's the one doing my body work and he knew the truck's history. I think i shot myself in the foot with giving up those heads they were gold but they were also the only thing in that engine worth anything.

The power-lok is great we set it up really loose since the truck is on ice so often, but when the power is put to the front end it locks up and stays locked. It makes leaving the hubs locked in all winter tollerable especially when driving around town. Looking into an ARB for the rear to maintain my open diff on ice when pulling but still improve my trackion else where. As to the D60 we pulled it into the shop for our big trucks at work and in one evening, probably four hours drove it out again swaped out.

I think the factory tach should be fine, if it is off i believe you can pull it out and turn the adjustment on the back some to bring it back to correct timing.

As to you calculations they are right but here is some info that might help because i believe the numbers you posted are for 1:1 which would be 4th gear for you.

I have a spread sheet set up in excel so ill run each setup for you including stock 235/85R16's. This is for the gear sets in a NV4500 but they are really close for 1:1 and OD for the ZF.

Tire Size= 39.5
MPH= 70
Desired RPM 0
Rear Ratio 4.10

Resulting Gear Ratio= 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------
W/ 39.5's and 4.10 gears your present numbers should be close to:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=798&.jpg

I got too much free time on my hands in the winter. LOL Let me know if there is anything else i might be able to help with.

Dusty

96 F-250 now 350 4x4 ext cab SB Green Monster mass air 460 w/5spd conversion 205 T-case 4.11 gears, Doug Thorleys and converted 33 gallon bronco rear tank, Dana 60 front w/ Power-Lok. Soon to be a 5.9L cummins diesel 5spd.

Old 01-03-2002, 04:37 PM
fordpower460
Freshman User
Super Charger

wow you sure are well informed, the excel document did not load email it to me..hunter67@kc.rr.com, thats to bad about them heads i would have loved to have got my paws on them, also do you have the MAF conversion or did you sell it? well thanks for your time, good luck on the cummins swap, also what made you wanna go to cummins? you gonna use 12 or 24 vavle? you gonna "hop" it up, thanks alot or your time

1995 F-250 Ext. Cab 4x4 Off-Road, 4.10LS 460 5 Speed xlt, Black, Grey Interior,Running lights, Sky Jacker 6" lift and 39.5" Super swampers, 3" Skyjacker Body Lift with 16.5" aluminums, K&N FIPK, cowl induction hood, grille guard with 12,000lb Warn winch, Rancho Dual Shock kit Front and rear, Rancho Dual Steering stabilizer, true dual exahust with 3" pipe dynomax race mufflers and 4 inch tips exiting at rear corners, RhinoLiner, cleaned out Kitty Cat, Roll Bar with KC HiLites, soon to have lockers this is no show truck it is taken off road as much as possible

Old 01-03-2002, 07:05 PM
ddestruel
Senior User
Super Charger

Here is that file just to get it on here. No problem with the help i enjoy adding the little bit that i have done to help others avoid wasting time doing it again. I actually sold the MAF to another Fellow FTE member, Shami02. He and i have been talking about him getting the kit for awhile now.

The Cummins is being done more for the "WOW" factor. Kinda one of those things that not to many people have one in a ford, same reason i have a 354 hemi and ford t-18 4spd under the hood of my jeep CJ-5. Price wise if i can kinivle it down to within a $1000-1500 extra of doing something conventional like a PSD or 7.3 IDI i will spend the extra and do the unique. This one happens to be a 12 valve and is already hopped up and cost the same amount with the tranny as a PSD would have cost me and it is alot simpler.

Ill email you that excel file, either way it will prove useful.

Good Luck
Dusty

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=818&.jpg

F-250 now 350 4x4 ext cab SB Green Monster (Used to have)205000 miles, Mass air 460 w/ performance heads, E40d to 5spd conversion, 205 T-case, 4.11 gears, Power-Lok equipt dana 60 front, Doug Thorleys and swapped in EFI 33 gallon bronco rear tank. 33's on 16x8" Outlaw II's, Truck is destined to be a 5.9L cummins diesel 5spd.

Old 01-09-2002, 07:05 PM
ddestruel
Senior User
Super Charger

Mike is looking to sell that 460 MAF kit that i sold him as soon as it shows up out of UPS' swap they call mail service. He is member shami02 or email him through FTE. Get a hold of him ASAP when i was selling mine i was bombarded with inquires. Write or post here and ill get intouch with him if you can't

Take care
Dusty

F-250 now 350 4x4 ext cab SB Green Monster (Used to have)205000 miles, Mass air 460 w/ performance heads, E40d to 5spd conversion, 205 T-case, 4.11 gears, Power-Lok equipt dana 60 front, Doug Thorleys and swapped in EFI 33 gallon bronco rear tank. 33's on 16x8" Outlaw II's, Truck is destined to be a 5.9L cummins diesel 5spd.

Old 01-13-2002, 03:48 PM
shami02
Senior User
Super Charger

Hey FordPower, I have Dustys MAF conversion and will sell it to you for a reasonable amount.... I bought it then decided to change the direction I was taking with my truck..... Let me know if you are interested or not several people have asked about it.... my email address is meshaffer at mindspring.com..

Have a good one,
Mike Shaffer

Old 01-13-2002, 03:54 PM
shami02
Senior User
Super Charger