460 injection to carb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 07:52 PM
mrsmith
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 injection to carb?

insted of dumping a ton of money in my 94 injected 460 to get some hp out it,I'm thinking of going with some blue thunder heads,stealth intake,850 holley,M460 cam,etc.and remove the factory injection.I've used this same combo in the past with excellent results,what worries me is how I'm going to make the aod-e tranny shift right,has anyone done this kind of swap?

Old 04-02-2002, 06:24 AM
DeenHylton
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
460 injection to carb?

To my knowledge the AOD was never offered behind a big-block. You should have the E4OD. Go to www.baumannengineering.com to locate a programable controler for your E4OD they sell them for around $400, you should also update your 94 tranny to 96 specs because the early years are prone to failure. Deen

Old 04-02-2002, 06:51 PM
mrsmith
New User
460 injection to carb?

your right it has the E4OD-E,what I was hoping to do was use some of the fuel injection inputs on my carb set-up.does anyone know what inputs the ecu uses to shift the tranny?

Old 04-02-2002, 07:24 PM
El Guapo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
460 injection to carb?

Mrsmith, if you've got that little overdrive button on your gear selector ****, then you've got the E4OD.

FWIW, I own a 1990s 460 and E4OD combo and was considering the purchase of a Banks shift kit to firm it up. The shifts were terribly mushy, the same as on the E4OD on a 2000 F-150 4x4 I also drive. It must be a characteristic of the tranny.

I did a complete trans oil and filter change a week ago on the 460(including draining the torque converter), and filled it with Red Line D4 synthetic ATF. (w-a-a-y expensive stuff, twice per quart the regular ATF price). Never used a synthetic gear lube before.

I didn't expect it at all, but the trans shifts firmed up tremendously. It slams the gears now, like a s hift kit was put in, regardless if I'm towing a trailer or just passing on a two-lane.
I also picked up what looks like a 1/2 MPG improvement.

Let me add a couple of disclaimers.

I've read that different types of ATF can make the same trans feel and shift differently. I also have no idea if the reason for the shifting improvement was because the new ATF was synthetic, or if, say, Mobil synthetic ATF would have the same beneficial effect. All I know is that particular brand of ATF worked great. I have no connection to the oil business nor do I sell the stuff in any way, shape or form. I'm a part-time farmer and electrical engineer.

My point is, if you haven't done it already, try putting a synthetic ATF in before buying a shif t kit or replacing the tranny. You might save some money and get an improvement your're happy with. If it doesn't help, you've only done maintenance you would have needed to do anyway, it doesn't hurt to do preventative maintenance on those E40Ds. They want a fortune to rebuild the things.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2002, 06:55 PM
mrsmith
New User
460 injection to carb?

I've had good luck with synthetic in the past myself,I ran ams-oil synthetic in a c-4 behind a 572 BBF in a 4WD 83 ranger with no failures,I'm not unhappy with the tranny I just want to make it shift after removing the injection,I have been kicking around leaving the injection on and adding a superchager,anyone used one on a injected 460?

Old 04-04-2002, 06:42 PM
DeGideo
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
460 injection to carb?