General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

my property tax just went way up :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Dialtone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think getting that error corrected should be a "no brainer".
Just camp out on someones desk, and continue to make their life a living hell till it is corrected. What are they going to do, call the cops on you for trying to get them to do what is right?
If done right, you can bring the entire office to a standstill and still be within the law.
Don't take NO for an answer.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Dialtone
I would think getting that error corrected should be a "no brainer".
Just camp out on someones desk, and continue to make their life a living hell till it is corrected. What are they going to do, call the cops on you for trying to get them to do what is right?
If done right, you can bring the entire office to a standstill and still be within the law.
Don't take NO for an answer.

I am doing just that and they are pissed about it...I do not mind paying my share and I just want to be fair for everyone.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Dialtone
Elder User
The most effective tactic to deal with a bureaucrat, is to start cutting into their "free" time.
Go in of a Friday afternoon around 4 PM and refuse to leave when they want to go home at quitting time.
If police are called, calmly explain that you have business to transact and see no reason to discontinue the discussions till it is completed to your satisfaction, given the evidence at hand.
Make the clerk and their supervisor(s) stay to discuss the issue on "Their Time".

Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Dialtone
The most effective tactic to deal with a bureaucrat, is to start cutting into their "free" time.
Go in of a Friday afternoon around 4 PM and refuse to leave when they want to go home at quitting time.
If police are called, calmly explain that you have business to transact and see no reason to discontinue the discussions till it is completed to your satisfaction, given the evidence at hand.
Make the clerk and their supervisor(s) stay to discuss the issue on "Their Time".

I'm liking this already....

Old 01-20-2008, 01:13 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
problme is many people that have these properties also have jobs, so it is money out of thier pocket to go complain, if even the boss lets them have time off to go do it, may have to take a vacation day even for it.

thats why many protests are not from working americans but from people with little or nothing in the way of money or careers, because they have the free time to go and stand in the street all day to protest.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Dialtone
Elder User
Originally Posted by bf250
problme is many people that have these properties also have jobs, so it is money out of thier pocket to go complain, if even the boss lets them have time off to go do it, may have to take a vacation day even for it.

thats why many protests are not from working americans but from people with little or nothing in the way of money or careers, because they have the free time to go and stand in the street all day to protest.
So your alternative is to live the rest of your life as a "doormat" for everyone to walk all over? If you refuse to stand up for your principles and rights, this is exactly how you will be treated. I never said it was easy route. I never said it was the comfortable route.

Your principals define who you are. Set high standards, stick to them, and pick your battles carefully.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:23 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sglaine
Ohh I agree with you there...LOL...Mine screwed me on Square footage on my place and said the computer does not lie..
We got lucky. Our tax assessor came out, after we completed the remodel, which included
tearing down 25% of the rear of the house, due to wood boring beetles, and
adding a few extra rooms; she walked around and asked what this room was
for, and what that room was for.

The square footage was on the construction blue prints.

She looked at the smaller rooms and said she would submit them as closets,
which were not classified as living spaces, giving my mom a little break on her
reassessed tax bill.

Because of her retired and financial status, I think she gets some sort of rebate
help on her property taxes. That's a good thing.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
i was making the point of many people on many issues are getting used as a "doormat". but who do we see doing things? the fact that millions can get together to protest for illegal rights but many of us have never even got together to protest taxes? it was just by hard campaigning and dumb luck that so many poeple contacted thier reps over the amnesty bill, and even that was mostly just an email and phone calling campaign, not an out in the street by millions protesting campaign.

i was not advocating anything, just pointing out that to be politically active and deal with issues takes time, time many poeple with full careers do not have. many will not take the time out until they are really pushed into the corner and even then many find it easier to walk out and go some place else then to combat it.

it is a reality that many people to go downtown to some tax office has to take time off work. it is reality that many will not get paid for that time off hence they are losing money. it is a reality that many will not be allowed to take that time off unless they use a sick day or vacation day. it is a reality that many, especially self employed, are very busy to take hours out of thier day to deal with this with the great possibility that nothing will be done and they have to come back again. for most it is easier to pay it or eventually move yet further out from the expensive areas to cheaper areas then the cycle continues.

thats not me advocating anything, that is just pointing out what i have seen and read.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
The tax assessor from a private firm and I swear they work on commission....I am going to have fun real soon and hope to get the process stopped until it is fair for everyone.....

Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM
F3504ME
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of property taxes...
Can someone explain to me why I pay property tax on the 21ft boat I have
stored in my sideyard??? of which I already pay property tax on my house?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by F3504ME
Speaking of property taxes...
Can someone explain to me why I pay property tax on the 21ft boat I have
stored in my sideyard??? of which I already pay property tax on my house?
I'm guessing it's some sort of vessel/luxury tax.

Plus they can get away with it.

I purchased a 10' Avon inflatable, back in 1981, and didn't have to pay any tax on it;
until I purchased an outboard for it. Then I got a tax bill, and every few years then on.

Since I haven't used it in years, I stopped paying the tax.

Last edited by sierraben; 01-28-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
F3504ME
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does not make sense...I did not pay property tax on my travel trailer?? At least I could live in that thing if I wanted??

Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by F3504ME
Does not make sense...I did not pay property tax on my travel trailer?? At least I could live in that thing if I wanted??
Maybe because it doesn't have a motor in it?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 AM
stormyrider
Elder User
Here In Michigan we put through a couple of ballot proposals that restrict them. They have to adjust the dollar amount collected to be the same every year to what was approved by the electorate on the last taxes milage approved. They can and do boost your elvaluation each year but there are two evaluations tracked. One is what they would like to hit you with and the other is based on what they can actually collect without the voters approving an increase. The higher number only ever gets used as a basis if you sell your property, then that is the new valuation unless the selling price was lower.