Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need some advise???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 AM
farmlucki
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advise???

Just installed a Putnam hitch in my truck (goosenck), it is a 2000 2wd f-250 PSD. I was wondering if anyone had pictures of the underside if there goosneck hitches. Mine is right above the sway bar about 6 inches. Is this ok or do I need to worry about the bottum of the hitch hitting it. Thank you.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You might have better luck getting answers in the Towing and 5th wheel forum..try:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum68/

Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by farmlucki
Just installed a Putnam hitch in my truck (goosenck), it is a 2000 2wd f-250 PSD. I was wondering if anyone had pictures of the underside if there goosneck hitches. Mine is right above the sway bar about 6 inches. Is this ok or do I need to worry about the bottum of the hitch hitting it. Thank you.
Did you follow directions? How far forward of axle center is the ball mounted?
remeber the whole reason a 5th or GN can haul so much weight is because the rear wheels are pushing the weight, not pulling it. But to answer you question , the cross rails on my 5th are about 8 inches above the pumpkin, but I also have a 4x4

Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 PM
farmlucki
Junior User
the ball is about 3 or 4 inches in front of axle. Do you think it would help if i put helper springs on? Just to let you know Im worried about the ball holder were it is stored after you put it in the down position, it is about 5 inches in depth.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm not familiar with the your hitch, but I have a B&W turnover ball gooseneck. Apparently there is an alternate mounting location for my hitch for trucks equipped with the sway bar that the installer did not know about. Even with my overload springs the ball would hit the sway bar in certain situations. Sadly it took me a year to figure out what that loud clunk was, and I thought my trailer was just rubbing a flat spot on my ball when driving through a certain ditch.

Overloads won't help, but a set of air bags, or timbrens will.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Just like Chris said, there is an alternate mounting location for swaybar equipped trucks, but since the holes are drilled and the bed has already been cut, it looks like a set of air bags are in your future

Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I third the bags. Springs won't solve it unless they are so stiff it would damage your kidneys if you drove the truck empty.

I had the Firestone bags on my last truck, and loved them. Aired 'em up when hauling and still had good ride aired down when empty.

It's one of the few suspension accessories for a truck that is a win /win situation hauling or empty.

Austin