1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Donor engine mount issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
CA Viking
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Donor engine mount issues

Okay fellas, since I'm on a diet I'm not allowed "cookies" plus I'm afraid of the "dark side" I selected a nice, slightly used 1984 Ford 302 motor to swap into my 49F1. Hence the following questions; Will the motor actually mount with the existing engine mounts or do I need to find a kit? Secondly, for those of you running the 302 what exhaust are you using. I am thinking of sticking with stock exhaust manifolds but am curious about headers My primary concern is whether the headers will fit or not. On a separate issue, I have been trying real hard to post pics of my truck but for some darn reason I can't get them to cooperate (and I'm no beginner to computers!) Anyway, as an interesting side note I actually had my lovely wife out in the shop scraping 59 years worth of grease, dirt, and who knows what off of the frame and front end along with my 6 and 4 year olds. This new truck has become a true family project. I suspect by the time I'm finised my oldest will be ready to drive....

Old 01-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

First of all welcome to the forum!!!! A bunch of real good engineers around here!! Secondly welcome to the "gray" side. By switching engines, you're not a lightsider either. Now to the question: No your 302 wont bolt to the original motor mounts, you should be able to find a kit to do it with no problem. If I were goin to run headers, I'd run a factory set off a Mustang. They are short, and have fewer clearance issues, and are not as prone to leaking due to their length. As for the posting pics, I'm NO good at it all, but there is a sticky at the top of the page detailing how to post pics? I think sometimes it's this site though?

Glad to hear your family is helping!! It is so much better when the wife and family is in there WITH you and not AGAINST you!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
A couple of other things to consider. Depending on what your 302 came out of, if it has a front sump oil pan you'll probably want one of the dual sump varieties in order to clear crossmembers/tierod. They also came on the 80s Mustangs and others.

You can always mount your engine 1" toward the passenger side to clear the steering gearbox. Lots of room under your hood to shuffle things. Just make sure to move your tranny on its mount the same.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:20 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
".....Anyway, as an interesting side note I actually had my lovely wife out in the shop scraping 59 years worth of grease, dirt, and who knows what off of the frame and front end ..."

as a way to repay your debt to her and foster good will and appreciation for her hard work... a gift card from a local nail salon for a manicure might go a long way in keeping harmonious cooperation going...

just a thought

later
John