Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Toyota Adds 13 More Models To 08 Tundra Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,118 Likes on 2,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Krochus
Drum brakes up front can slow down a truck just fine the only problem with them is they will only do so a couple three times before heat buildup leaves you with little or no brakes.

Anyone who says that drums are better has NO credibility whatsoever in all matters automotive. This is just a case of OLD people thinking everything was better "back in the day".
if disc brakes are the cats meow, and drum brakes are deathtraps, how do you explain the fact that large truck have drum brakes instead of disc brakes??
disc brakes are for people that do not know how to drive.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Well, if anyone is an expert on propaganda around here, it would be you.

So you are discrediting the facts I have presented here?
.... I can discredit your claims based on my experiences yes I can do that.

Would you have like to pay the $1800 repair bill on my 2000 super duty with low mileage for rotors and calipers.. Because we did not know that they had to be maintain unlike you claim that they don't....

Yup your a Rocket scientist for sure....

Disk brakes like anything also need maintained also twice a year..

Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who says big rigs don't use discs smartypants!

Most European heavy over-the-road trucks use disc brakes on all axles, with over 1.5 million disc brakes produced in Europe. U.S. commercial truck manufacturers entered the disc brake market with front-axle discs, but they were not promoted in the industry. Four-wheel disc brakes have been available for American-made light trucks for several years, and they have demonstrated superior stopping efficiency. FWD/Seagrave, Pierce Manufacturing, Spartan Motors, and Sutphen use air discs on fire, emergency, and rescue vehicles. Motor Coach Industries and Prevost Car order them installed on intercity coaches.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:40 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Krochus
Who says big rigs don't use discs smartypants!

Did Bill Clinton teach you the word smarty pants...LOL I have not heard that word since grade school...

Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by krochus
U.S. commercial truck manufacturers entered the disc brake market with front-axle discs, but they were not promoted in the industry.
i think this statement, a direct quote from your post says exactly what i just said.

i am not talking about europe, or firetrucks. i am talking about large, tractor trailer rigs and dump trucks that are in the 80,000 + lb class. they all use drum brakes, cause disc brakes don't last on large trucks.

if you were to put disc brakes on a large truck, they would be out of service every other week getting new brakes put on. with drum brakes, you can expect between 50,000 and 100,000 miles before you will need brakes.

with disc brakes, you are lucky to get 10,000 miles out of them.

Last edited by tjc transport; 01-16-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i think this statement, a direct quote from your post says exactly what i just said.

i am not talking about europe, or firetrucks. i am talking about large, tractor trailer rigs and dump trucks that are in the 80,000 + lb class. they all use drum brakes, cause disc brakes don't last on large trucks.

if you were to put disc brakes on a large truck, they would be out of service every other week getting new brakes put on. with drum brakes, you can expect between 50,000 and 100,000 miles before you will need brakes.

with disc brakes, you are lucky to get 10,000 miles out of them.
Ok besides the fact that they "may" wear out quicker, where is your proof that the drums do a superior job than disc brakes stoping a tractor trailer?

Proof....I'll wait

Until then:

http://trailer-bodybuilders.com/mag/...sults_support/

Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sglaine
.... I can discredit your claims based on my experiences yes I can do that...
I guess you have the right, seeing actual facts and testing mean nothing...

....Would you have like to pay the $1800 repair bill on my 2000 super duty with low mileage for rotors and calipers.. Because we did not know that they had to be maintain unlike you claim that they don't......
Did you ever think that maybe this is a chronic problem? ( ie, too small of disc size for use, Ford cheaping out? ) Do a search on this website and you might be surprised what you find.

What do you figure attributed to you having to replace these parts? I'm willing to bet 2 things, either you have had to lock up the brakes numerous times or heat. How do you think drums would have held up in the same situation? Please save me the " i have experience " excuse, yes, your experience is having the brakes fail at low mileage, give us some facts to WHY they failed. ie what was the use of the truck. Bet ya won't say a word.

Yup your a Rocket scientist for sure....
Ah yes, I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Disk brakes like anything also need maintained also twice a year..
Please feel free to fill us in on your maintainece procedure for disc brakes. Seeing you got taken for 1800 bucks for a job that should cost at least HALF that, I can't see your answer being knowledgable on the subject.

And no, the king of opinions doesn't think he is an expert on this. Just working with what you are giving the rest of us around here.

Not too much....

Old 01-16-2008, 07:18 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
[QUOTE=SMIGGS]Ok besides the fact that they "may" wear out quicker, where is your proof that the drums do a superior job than disc brakes stoping a tractor trailer?

Proof....I'll wait

Until then:

http://trailer-bodybuilders.com/mag/trucks_test_results_support/[/QUOTE]

You just do not see the light do you...Disk breaks wear out faster and they cost more..If you don't drive like an idiot and maintain your drum breaks why have Disk Brakes?

Have you smiggs owned a fleet and have you driven over 2 million miles like TC and I have done..

We have the experience and lived to talk about it

Unlike reading propaganda. Thinking you have a clue

And for someone that said that they were done with me is surely talking up a storm

Old 01-16-2008, 07:25 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
You just do not see the light do you...Disk breaks wear out faster and they cost more..If you don't drive like an idiot and maintain your drum breaks why have Disk Brakes?

Have you smiggs owned a fleet and have you driven over 2 million miles like TC and I have done..

We have the experience and lived to talk about it

Unlike reading propaganda. Thinking you have a clue

And for someone that said that they were done with me is surely talking up a storm
Once again, side step my questions that I present to you.

Are you scared?

Do you need me to draw you a picture?

I stated I don't want to hear your "experience" excuse. I want to know actual facts about your situation with your 2000. Now until you can provide answers, all you are doing is contributing the propaganda that is spewing around here.

Speaking of which, is that your new magic word of the day?

Now please, answer my questions.

Now to quote Chris Tucker:

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Ok besides the fact that they "may" wear out quicker, where is your proof that the drums do a superior job than disc brakes stopping a tractor trailer?

Proof....I'll wait
my proof is over 2 million driven miles.
the one truck i had as a loaner with disc brakes never went more than 75 miles before it was returned on the back of a tow truck for a truck with drum brakes.

and i know 4 other people that never got more than 100 miles with disc brake equipped truck before they pulled over on the side of the road and refused to continue because of no brakes.

this has been a big thing here. the truck dealers will not even order a truck with disc brakes, because every one they ever had had to be converted to drum brakes cause the disc brakes just don't work.
when i step on the brake pedal, i expect to stop.

not run a red light cause the truck won't stop.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
my proof is over 2 million driven miles.
the one truck i had as a loaner with disc brakes never went more than 75 miles before it was returned on the back of a tow truck for a truck with drum brakes.

and i know 4 other people that never got more than 100 miles with disc brake equipped truck before they pulled over on the side of the road and refused to continue because of no brakes.
What kind of trucks are you talking about here?

Tim

Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 PM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think that guy spoting off about discs is just a internet troll im going to try to ignore this thread from here on out..

Ray

Old 01-16-2008, 07:42 PM
condolan
Senior User
Now there's the truth...People now a days have now clue to what Craftsmanship is about ....LOL There all out there gobbling up all of the Gong-bong garbage out there...LOL
I'm very confused now.

If today's trucks are "gong-bong garbage", then why do you own 2 of them?

If today's trucks are made for people who don't drive safely, then why do you own 2 of them?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm actually quite curious.

I think people are missing the point that big rigs see lots and lots of highway miles. I'm not saying they don't need to stop NOW but...most 1/2-ton pickup truck buyers drive in city stop-and-go traffic where disc brakes seem to rule over drums...maintainence or not.

You're starting to talk in circles. Drum brakes are cheaper, yet new pickups are cheap crap...so they have expensive disc brakes?

And by the way, the Ford logos that Ford installs on their vehicles holds a hell of lot better than the ones from the 70's...the screws and ugly glue (from the PO) holding all the chrome on my '74 will attest to that.

I'd also like to remind you that both of your SD's have 4-way disc brakes, air bags, ABS, and everything else you seem to despise.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by condolan
I'm very confused now.

If today's trucks are "gong-bong garbage", then why do you own 2 of them?

If today's trucks are made for people who don't drive safely, then why do you own 2 of them?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm actually quite curious.

I think people are missing the point that big rigs see lots and lots of highway miles. I'm not saying they don't need to stop NOW but...most 1/2-ton pickup truck buyers drive in city stop-and-go traffic where disc brakes seem to rule over drums...maintainence or not.

You're starting to talk in circles. Drum brakes are cheaper, yet new pickups are cheap crap...so they have expensive disc brakes?

And by the way, the Ford logos that Ford installs on their vehicles holds a hell of lot better than the ones from the 70's...the screws and ugly glue (from the PO) holding all the chrome on my '74 will attest to that.

I'd also like to remind you that both of your SD's have 4-way disc brakes, air bags, ABS, and everything else you seem to despise.

You do the math here Disk Brakes last about 20,000 miles if your lucky compared to 80,000 miles that I used to get out of the old style drum breaks...LOL Witch is more cost efective here?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by greythorn3
i think that guy spoting off about discs is just a internet troll im going to try to ignore this thread from here on out..

Ray

Ray I think it is funny that these youngsters think that they know more then the older guys...I am amused by this and you should be also...

Quick Reply: Toyota Adds 13 More Models To 08 Tundra Lineup