1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

"Click" when trying to start, then lights/accs go dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 AM
HateTank
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Click" when trying to start, then lights/accs go dead

Hey all,

When trying to start up my 81 E350 school bus the other day, all that happened was a single, loud "click" and then all my power shorted out (headlights go dead with the click). This is a louder "click" than I usually hear when a starter solenoid goes (i replaced it anyway). I couldn't pinpoint where exactly it was coming from, since I was alone.

***I noticed that after the click/power loss, if I go to the battery and twist the pos. batt cable on the terminal. I get a crackle of power @ the terminal and all my lights come back on. -and, the pos connector is warm (yes, the cables/terminals are clean) It's as if a circuit breaker has been tripped when I try to start it. and I reset it by a little twist at the terminal. Of course, it just clicks again/ goes dead when I try to start it afterwards. (I'm sure it's not a loose battery cable thing)***

3 weeks ago I put a new starter in it (well, autozone) and it has been running fine ever since. The vehicle has been parked inside and completely undisturbed since it was last started with no problems (about a week ago).

1)Checked battery twice -it was good. (even tried a different one known to be good)
2)Replaced the starter solenoid -no effect
3)Checked cables -visually ok, and all connections clean and tight

My only last thoughts are:

- That new starter decided to quit for no reason (btw, I have not yet directly applied batt power to it..... I just disconnect the starter lead from the solenoid and touch it to the pos terminal, right?)

-A fusable link broke for no reason

Thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 AM
alexchavel
Senior User
grounds

Sounds like you have a problem with grounds.
I rebuilt an old 1979 e150, everytime i have this click problem or problems starting, it's usually loose, missing, or bad grounds.
Look over ALL your grounds, clean surfaces, tighten.

This is often overlooked, people think solenoid or else first, but for my van its always grounds.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remove the battery cables from the battery and scrape the post and the inside of the cable clamps to bright metal then replace them and tighten firmly.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
mhg
Fleet Mechanic
what rclarke said
you have already found the problem
the pos. bat cable
if you can twist it its loose and must be tighter

Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 AM
HateTank
Junior User
Yup, that was it... battery cable. Problem solved.

Thanks all.