Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show Off Your Pre-97 Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Chris91-150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Word Brother. And boy do i like what i got!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM
SaikotikGunman
Posting Guru
For any of the off-road applications I've come across, lift has only been useful in allowing bigger tires. Even at stock stance/ride height, my diff and axles have always stopped me before anything else has, with the exception of the plow mounts on one truck, which hit the mud the same time the axle did.

Where I haul firewood across the creek in the winter, I have three ruts wore into the trail: one from each wheel, and one from the rear diff. Bigger tires get the diff off the ground, so they're useful. But all the lift in the world, with those same tires, won't help me any.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
DustynF
New User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
That looks great! I like the colors. Very clean. Did your vent window recently get broken out?
No, I think what happened was that the tint was pulled off because of peeling and its still intact on the side window. I really need to peel it all of because its turning purple. Thanks for the comments.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:38 PM
traxiii
Junior User
My "prerunner" will end up only about 3" taller than stock, but mostly because I'm running 35" tires. With the fiberglass fenders I have all the room I need for the bigger tires. My 3" lift will be about 1 inch after the coil-overs go in. It is setting 2" taller in front than in the rear and I hate it, so it's coming down. Lowering the front won't cause any loss of clearance because as you said the 3rd member is the lowest thing on the truck. I'll still have over 9" of bump clearance for the front tires, and the front bumper is still almost 3 feet off the ground. Keeping it lower helps mileage, and lowers the roll center. If you look at Trophy Trucks, they have huge wheel travel and sit a couple inches higher than stock trucks. 6" plus lifts are purely for show.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DustynF
Here is a pic of my 94. It only has 78k on it.
Awesome looking truck! What size tires? Is that factory ride?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by traxiii
My "prerunner" will end up only about 3" taller than stock, but mostly because I'm running 35" tires. With the fiberglass fenders I have all the room I need for the bigger tires. My 3" lift will be about 1 inch after the coil-overs go in. It is setting 2" taller in front than in the rear and I hate it, so it's coming down. Lowering the front won't cause any loss of clearance because as you said the 3rd member is the lowest thing on the truck. I'll still have over 9" of bump clearance for the front tires, and the front bumper is still almost 3 feet off the ground. Keeping it lower helps mileage, and lowers the roll center. If you look at Trophy Trucks, they have huge wheel travel and sit a couple inches higher than stock trucks. 6" plus lifts are purely for show.
I love your truck traxii! I'll take it.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
traxiii
Junior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
I love your truck traxii! I'll take it.
Sorry can't have it, I'm not even finished with it yet. But thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
dlxcoupe
Junior User
96,, 63,000 miles - ~goin' fishin~

Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Staveys150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chris91-150
Well some people, like myself, can't afford to own more then one vehicle, so we have to compromise and have our daily drivers simultaneously be our off road Beast-toys.
So i believe on this entire "to lift or not to lift" debate, that its really up to the driver. If they want a lifted truck and are fully aware of the decrease in fuel economy, higher center of gravity, and a couple of the other occurrences that may or may not appear when you jack that baby up, that they can go for it.
I just lifted my truck six inches this week with a top of the line Superlift Kit, and it looks amazing! its not ridiculously high and its still got a great aggressive stance and the center of gravity is still relatively low. (pics will come tonight when i get a high speed connection ) My dad had this same debate with me, the whole "youll get worse gas mileage, itll be unstable, its unpractical, ect ect," but i didnt care, i have a concept for my truck and what it will eventually be so the lift was just the first necessary part. And all the Issues brought up by you guys and my father are things that can either be compensated for or avoided all together if done right and with some other small modifications.
So I dont think there is a right and wrong when it comes to lifting, it just depends on what one wants out of their vehicle, and as long as theyre aware of the pro's and con's of both stock and lifted trucks, to each their educated own
its all in what you care about... not what anyone else thinks.. diggin the lift! im getting a 6in lift soon! and a paintjob

Old 08-10-2009, 09:58 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
i like lifts to clear tires that it, and m truck MUST be practical, its daily driven (well it will be soon) it nee to work and haul and tow trailers, it need to be capable as a toy to blow off some steam in the mud holes and pull people out of mud an snow and whatever else, but it also needs to be capable of off camber settings, tight trails and steep hills in the rocky mountains for hunting, it will go places most people of quads dont and live to tell about it, so if my truck can and will do all of that when lifted and with big tires and stock gears with no lockers or LS units what makes them so bad? it will hurt my street performance but a lifted truck is not meant for the street (unless you are mall crawling, in which case you suck) so whats the big deal if its not fast and not great on gas, raising the truck will not hurt the COG until you put a huge lift on witout using larger wider and heavier tires to help balance it out, mall crawlers are tipsy, a 4x4 up 6" on 36x12.50s are really not much worse than stock plus with the lift the axles have more room to move without binding up which will make them more stable

ha sorry for that mouthful

Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
sorry for double posting but on the tire height issue, if you say in modest tire sizes you will not notice any difference at all in stock trucks (depending on your engine) my uncles truck which is my 95s twin (300I6, 5 speed, 3.55s) his truck turns 33s and there is no, NO difference, truck does not burn any more fuel AT ALL it is not any slower in any rpm or any speed and it has not problem breaking them loose on dry pavement (me my dad and my uncle have all done it) only big difference is it throws his speedo out by 10km/h which has in the past led to tickets, he does not calibrate it because it only sits on the 33s during hunting season

Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 PM
JerseyMudIsFun
Senior User
9.ford.5,
how do u calibrate the speedo ?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
well a dealer can do it for one, but for made their speedometers so you can recalibrate them either 5 or 10 times i cant remember which, i had a link to a D.I.Y. recalibration thing but i lost it when my computer committed suicide but i THINK i was here on FTE somewhere, i will try and track it down

Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 PM
cmschule
New User

Well here is mine... its needs some work.. but its on its way

Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 PM
al3x
Junior User
Ol faithful

It's my 88 f250... in the orginal state when I first bought it. Haven't changed much on the looks yet but when the money comes in I do little by little

Quick Reply: Show Off Your Pre-97 Trucks