Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 01:20 PM
Nonot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 Ford E350 Van/Bus

Hello
I have recently acquired an E350 ford Van 460 EFI with a C6 Trans
This beast has a Thomas Bus body thatI am converting to a camper.
I also tow a trailer to Florida and back each year(3000 miles)
Transmission has B+M transpak so it shifts good.
The thing was anemic when I got it.
After replacing the in tank fuel pump and a new air filter it got a little better.
7 MPG is on the high side for this thing. The EEC has been checked and operation in open and closed loop verified all system OK.
This winter I will be pulling this engine for rebuild(100,000 miles and 1 qt per 250 miles)
After reading this forum for hours I have determined that a straight up timimg gear will help
Open up the exhaust (Headers and auger out the air injection bumps in the exhaust ports) Remove the CAT CON. campers didn't have them
I also was thinking a Shaker style ram induction hood would give me some power. should be a simple mod. Remove the plastic top to the air box. fab up a scoop that sticks up through a hole in the hood.

now for the QUESTIONs.
Are there any CAMS that won't dork the 1988 EFI system?
Is there a CHIP for these?
Is there a laptop interface?
Does the little box that plugs in after the Thottle position sensor do anything? Summit sells these for $80.00
I have built and been involved in building a carbed 460 inch Mud racer 600HP and also an Enderle injected Alky dragster tht run 7.80's in the quarter but have NO expierence with EFI besides understanding it basic operation.
I have programming expierence and also electronics expierence.
Any info on this truck would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Have Fun
Tim

Old 09-08-2002, 02:15 PM
phantom429
Senior User
1988 Ford E350 Van/Bus

now for the QUESTIONs.
Are there any CAMS that won't dork the 1988 EFI system?
Is there a CHIP for these?
Is there a laptop interface?
Does the little box that plugs in after the Thottle position sensor do anything? Summit sells these for $80.00
I have built and been involved in building a carbed 460 inch Mud racer 600HP and also an Enderle injected Alky dragster tht run 7.80's in the quarter but have NO expierence with EFI besides understanding it basic operation.
I have programming expierence and also electronics expierence.
Any info on this truck would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1. when shopping for a cam, be sure it is not too big for your EFI setup. omp cams makes an excellent cam (pn- 34-255-5) that will provide the power you need, but still be EFI friendly.

2. There are chips available, however the power gains are not worth it. I have dyno tested a few chips and have found that most are between 5-10 hp increase over stock at wide open throttle. The same benefits can be found with a few more degrees of timing and an adjustable fuel regulator for dialing in your A/F ratio.

3. There are aftermarket piggyback type systems that enable a laptop interface, however in your case it is not worth the expense. Unless you are planning on running a twin turbo, wild cam, monster motor in your van. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator is as far as you want to go.

4. That little black box that goes inline with your TPS will improve throttle feel. However it will not increase max power. Basically the box takes the linear signal from the tps, and re-curves it. This modifies signal makes the PCM command the engine in a more aggresive manner with timing and fuel.

I might suggest doing a search on project MPG, someone may have the link on this. If you read up on the mods done to this truck I think you will be inspired for your project.

Good luck!!

Nick from the frozen north
1974 F-250 4X4
soon to be 429
dana 60 front and rear

Old 09-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Nonot
New User
1988 Ford E350 Van/Bus

Thanks for the info.
I tried a search for the MPG project but apparently am message board illiterate.
What do you think about the air scoop idea?
Is there a neat and easy way to get some cool air into this thing.
I also saw a post about flat top pistons.
I have a set of TRW 11.5:1 +.060 for a 460??
IF I machined off the domes. Make these Flat top pistons I perhaps could get to the 9.5:1 compression or so. I would like to run cheap gas if possible.
I also need clarified several appends on camshaft timing.
We run the mudracer cam 2 degrees advanced from Straight up with a crower 311HDP cam.
If I understand all the posts about this ford has retarded the cam 4 degrees which lowers the cylinder pressure at low RPM.
The question is using an aftermarket cam and a degree wheel I should be able to advance 2-4 degrees with no issues BUT IF I retain the stock CAM straight up is the as far as I can go.
I will be back online Wednesday(2 days off Wahoo)
Thanks
Have Fun
Tim
P.S.
I have a turbo available and have been toying with putiing it on this truck.3-5 LBS of boost and perhaps water/methanol injection to control detonation?
How does the 1988 EFI react to being Turboed.
Great forum with some excellent info

Old 09-08-2002, 11:31 PM
rusvd
Freshman User
1988 Ford E350 Van/Bus