Sponsored by: DP Tuner

cold starting problem on my 2000 Excursion diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Rodneys
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold starting problem on my 2000 Excursion diesel

My Excursion is having trouble. After I start it I have to wait for it to warm up for some time. If I go to early it will dye (or loose power) and I have a hard time getting it started. I have had this problem before and I think it had something to do with the air cleaner last time? The button has show loaded and I did push the button on it but the problem has continued.
Once it is warm the rig runs fine.
Any suggestions?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Do you mean you pushed the end of the air filter minder to reset the gauge? Have you checked the air filter to make sure it is clean? Next, how old is your engine oil? The fuel injectors are fired using engine oil.

Let's make sure all the fluids and filters are good before we move on to the engine parts. If the fluids check out maybe we can try cleaning the EBP sensor & tube.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Rodneys
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, The oil is ready to be changed in 1000. When I checked the air cleaner the cleaner was installed crooked and had collapsed. I did replace it but the issue still exists. Do you need to reset a code or unhook battery's.

I will check the Ebp sensor and tube. Could it be a cam position sensor, I seem to recall replacing something like that the last time I had this problem.

Last edited by Rodneys; 01-09-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
How long did you drive with a collapsed filter? Dirt doesn't agree with the turbo blades. I'd recommend taking the intake hose off the turbo, cleaning any dust/dirt out of the tube, inspect the turbo wheel for play or visible damage.

Back to your question, and I'm just guessing here, but could it be the EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) on the turbo that they fixed last time?

Here's a link with a picture that you can use to check the EBPV. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...highlight=ebpv

Hope this helps.