1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

FOUND-'49 Ford flat bed dually

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 AM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOUND-'49 Ford flat bed dually

I believe it to be the equivalent to an old "1 ton". The truck runs, not real well, but runs. Has what I believe to be an old flat head V8. Body is in great shape with all the original badges. Now here comes the questions.

#1 Will an old 5.9 12 v CTD fit under the hood, if so what mods will need to be done?

#2 Any tips on which kind of tranny to put in (4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speed etc.)?

#3 Do you guys know of any "tricks of the trade" to restoring/tricking out old vehicles like this one?

It is far and away the oldest truck I have ANY experience with, therefore I dont know much about it. Any pointers/suggestions would be largely appreciated. Have fun with this one guys, I know I will.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now what are you wanting to put in it ? but anyway you just popped in on the best place to get the info etc. you need . why not keep the flatty ??? my 53 { daily driven } and the 49 f-4 , 1 ton , both are flathead powered . if there's no major issues they are dependable and the wow factor is up there with a hemi . if ya dont want the flatty i'm sure besides myself you are gonna have a few of us asking what you're doing with it !!!! p.s. the only drawback to my flatties is fuel mileage , it sucks .. literally !!! ya wanna play ya have to pay !!!!!! someone will be along shortly with the required info , but have fun and enjoy !

Old 01-09-2008, 05:47 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
If I read it right you've got a 6BT to put in?? I've been watching for one to use in my 48 F6. For you Ford guys, that's a late 90's Cummins Turbo Diesel - 12 valve version.

The truck has about as much room under the hood as any newer truck so it should fit with a few mods. You'll be making it up as you go. I know of one guy over on the bonusbuilt.com forum who has at least one 48-50 truck with a Cummins in it.

I'd go with the 5 spd or 6 spd that Dodge used behind these. Both are OD and you'll want it with the short gears you'll have in the rear.

As far as tips and tricks, use the search feature in this forum by category and you'll stay busy for quite awhile.

In 49 the F4 was considered a 1 ton. Enjoy and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went out and checked out the truck again today (its sitting in a barn) and noticed it has what appears to be a hydraulic hoist on the flatbed... is there anyway this was stock?

Back to the CTD, what kind of mods do you mean? Like custom mounts or what? I really have never done a gas to diesel conversion before so forgive me if I am a little slow in the department.

Also thank you for answering my question if a 6 speed was an option.

Im am gonna get to lazy to look around here and just ask-how much should a decent 6BT run me? I noticed there are ads of them at a local junk yard but I dont want to go in there clueless and be over charged.

Once again, if anybody here has any tips, ideas, etc just bring them up, I am ALL EARS on this one guys, thanks a bunch.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
I have a 97 D2500 ton 4x4 with a 12V CTD and the 5 spd. My oldest son has an 02 D2500 with a 24V CTD with the 6 spd. I'm not aware of any differences at the bell housing, so either should work.

I've mostly been watching ebay to get a feel for prices and it seems like decent ones are anywhere from $3,000 up to 10,000 depending on age and mileage. That's why I'm still looking. Beginning to think it might be cheaper to find a wrecked truck to buy for the engine. That way you'd have all the pieces you'd ever need to do a transplant.

Talk to HOTFR8 at bonusbuilt.com. I think he can walk you thru the procedure.

http://bonusbuilt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1711