1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Tru Speed installation '02 F-350

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with Tru Speed installation '02 F-350

Hi Folks,

I'm about to install a Superlift TruSpeed module in my ((2002 F-350/CrewCab/SWD/V-10/4SpeedAuto)) The last thing I want is to make a mistake so I thought I would see if someone here might be able guide me through this. I do not have a service manual so I'm kind of flying blind here.

I have the power to the unit connected ok, I just need to make sure I get the ABS controller connection correct.

------------------------------------

The chart says to connect the Yellow and Green wires from the TruSpeed module to the ABS controller on the Truck.

When the wire to the ABS controller (Grey with Black Stripe) is located, cut it, then run:

- Green to ABS controller pin11(meaning the plug side)
and
- Yellow to Loom (meaning the return side)

--------------------------------------------------------

- Firstly, where is the ABS controller located on my Truck?
and
- Is pin11 marked on these plugs?
and
- Can this wire be spliced anywhere closer to the cab/firewall if it's to far away to allow for the supplied wires to reach and I'm able to follow the wires back?

Rick

Old 01-05-2008, 05:01 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
How about just let me know where the ABS Module is located

Hi again Folks,

How about ignore the question about wiring the Tru-Speed module and just let me know where the ABS Module/Controller is located on my Truck. It's pretty cold and windy out here today (I'm a baby when it comes to cold weather) and I've spent a good 30 minutes or so searching around the Truck trying to find it. I'm not even sure what it looks like. I've ordered a service manual online, but I would realy like to get this Tru-Speed unit installed. This is only my second Ford I've owned (first was a '74 Maverick). So I'm starting from square 1 with this Truck.

'02 F-350 / V-10 / CrewCab / 4 Speed Auto

Rick

Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
flamedoutf250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I`m thinking we I installed mine , thats its in the front left part of the engine compartment under the air intake and battery . I think you can see ikt from under the wheel well area. It`s only been 4.5 yrs ago when i did mine. hope this helpls?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:27 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
re: flamedoutf250

Thanks for input,

But somehow that doesn't work for me since the battery is on the passenger side and air intake is on the drivers side. I don't even know what the unit looks like so after checking both sides I'm still not sure what's up.

Thanks anyways. I've asked around other places also, so hopefully I'll be able to get this sorted out before the weekend is over.

Rick

Originally Posted by flamedoutf250
I`m thinking we I installed mine , thats its in the front left part of the engine compartment under the air intake and battery . I think you can see ikt from under the wheel well area. It`s only been 4.5 yrs ago when i did mine. hope this helpls?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
re: Antelope V-10

The link did help to confirm where I'm supposed to be looking. His ABS module is very different from mine, but it atleast I'm on the right track now. From what I can see on my Truck I'm in for a real hassle getting at my ABS module wire connector. It looks like I may need to completly unhook the unit including all 5 brake line feeds to get at the plug assembly. I'm going to post another question about hooking up the tru-speed unit closer to or in the cab.

Thanks for the link
Rick

Originally Posted by Antelope V-10

Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Tracing wires back closer to cab?

Hi again Folks,

((I've taken out the air intake and canister))
From what I've come up with so far it looks like it will be a real hassle getting at the wiring plug at the bottom of the ABS module. It seems that I might have to completely remove the ABS module including the 5 brake lines that run into the module to get to the bottom of the unit. This seems kind of extreme to me not to mention getting air in the lines if removed will be even more of a hassle.

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some assistance in either showing me an easier way to get at the wiring plug at the bottom of the ABS module or somehow tracing the wire (Green/Black) closer to the cab or even finding the wire under the dash? I would also pose the question of,,, is it ok to actually splice into the wire (Green/Black) farther away from the ABS module than suggested in the installation instructions supplied with the Tru-Speed unit?

(2002 F-350 / V-10 / Crew Cab / SWD / 4Speed Auto)

Rick

Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
You might try getting a hold of Mercury45, He manufactures a simliar product so he might be able to help. He posted his e-mail in another thread as merc45@gmail.com

Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Tru-Speed installed and calibrated

I got the Tru Speed module installed and it works as advertised. I ended up splicing into the ABS harness aprox half way up the wheel well just under the vapor canister (I think it's the vapor canister? I hope my service manual arrives soon). I spent 20/30 minutes calibrating the speedo allowing it to read aprox: 1-2 km/h over what my GPS was reading just to be safe. Maybe after putting some driving time into it I'll make some minor adjustments.
The Tru-Speed system seems to be a stable and reasonably accurate unit. After getting a little help (from another forum) the installation was very easy. I'd like to be able to say it has helped the shift timing in the tranny, but I have to say it feels the same as it was before the Tru-Speed unit.

I would recommend this unit to anyone that needs to calibrate thier speedo.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
too bad i caught this thread a little to late... i would have been happy to walk you through the install, weather installed at the abs module or in the cab. For the V10 gas you could have easily put it behind the cluster. Thats where mine is.

Well, if there is ever a problem, just let me know i will try to help if i can

kenny

Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Kenny,

No problem and thanks anyways. I could have simply contacted you after 'Antelope' recommended it. I was allready in the process of getting it all sorted out and starting to see the light by the time this thread was coming to an end.

Rick

Originally Posted by Mercury45
too bad i caught this thread a little to late... i would have been happy to walk you through the install, weather installed at the abs module or in the cab. For the V10 gas you could have easily put it behind the cluster. Thats where mine is.

Well, if there is ever a problem, just let me know i will try to help if i can

kenny