Still at it, where's the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 09:05 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Dec-02 AT 10:08 AM (EST)]I'll have to check the floats, maybe they are stuck down.......I think the list # 80508 but will have to double check. The big vac port is covered with a vac cap, on my spacer I have a port which is running the live to my PCV valve. I swear I feel like I'm overlooking something here, but keep coming up empty. What else would cause the backfire through the carb at idle other than timing? Did you happen to read the post down on "straight up cam timing"? I posted there because it seems as though I'm having the same symptoms. Thanks for all your help, Blair

Happy Holidays to all. :-X12

Old 12-23-2002, 02:36 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Dec-02 AT 03:37 PM (EST)]Triple check the firing order of the plug wires. You are definately misfiring while an intake valve is open. That's the only thing that I can figure. The cylinders go like this.

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
0 = dizzy in the front

Jimmy

Old 12-23-2002, 03:18 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru

I'll go ahead and check them, I'm still searching for an answer to this. Let me ask this, way back when I did my new timing set, could I somehow have gotten something off 180 degrees and still have my timing marks aligned? They are tight, even had a actual mechanic come by and double check me few weeks back. But they were right on the money and the dis pointed at #1. When I went to "straight up", could I have over rotated something, somehow? Is there a way to check that the cam or crank is not off 180 degrees? I vaguely remember after using the old gears and chain to align marks, pulled them, but to go straight up, I had to put on the new gears minus chain, and re-align marks. Then I pulled the gears, assembled them with the chain, and re-installed. But could I have goofed it? This is why everything lines up but she still won't run right? You know I busted a chain on my first attempt at install, a chunk of my timing cover broke off and landed down on the crank gear, the motor never even fired, after a couple revs the chain popped a link. I fished everything out of the oil pan, got a new set, and timing cover and reinstalled. The motor revolved good by hand so I went with it. When that happened could my cam have gone around 180 and I wouldn't know it? You got me thinking that something is off there, if you believe this is a timing issue. I never checked my valves when doing that work, what if I aligned my marks on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke?? I wouldn't know the difference just by looking at the truck. Let me check the wires and get back to this later. Thanks for getting back to me, experience is an invaluble tool. Blair

Old 12-23-2002, 11:06 PM
LxMan1

If the marks line up and the dizzy is at #1 then all is well. All of the pistons move with one crank rotation. The crank spins twice for every turn of the camshaft. #1 and #6 are at TDC at the same time. If #1 is firing, then #6 is at the top of the exhaust stroke.
The firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

O <- Dizzy
5 1
6 2
7 3
8 4

----------- <- Firewall

Jimmy :-X12

Old 01-01-2003, 06:45 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru

Been working a little on the truck. Little embarrassed about what we found. When my friend stopped over to help me out, we started by trying to determine where/what may cause a carb backfire if all else was good. Ended up that the spacer-to-manifold gasket was wrong, it didn't cover the back of the spacer correctly by the PCV port. We assume maybe that leaned out my carb just enough to backfire some, especially if the timing was still in need of pulling in some. Next thing was my choke (electric) was not functioning. In all my madness, I never thought to check and see if it was opening. It wasn't. The power lead was dead. So she was flooding (?) out, hard to start, guess that was helping to cause the backfire out the exhaust. The new carb needed some minor adjustment, but overall I think she'll run O.K. Next plans are to run a leak-down test at his shop, and see whats doing with those valves and go from there. Have no plans at doing major work right now, unless she starts to really give me trouble. Hopefully I can run a road test and get out of the yard tomorrow. Thanks for your input, Blair

Old 01-01-2003, 07:04 PM
KillerGreen
New User

Im not the best at this. But I had the same problem when I had bought a 1450 600 cfm holly and aluminum intake and put them on a 302. When i cranked it up it would not run for s#*! so I adjusted the throttle arm that has a screw with a spring on it i ran fine.

hope I was help!!

Old 01-01-2003, 11:43 PM
LxMan1

Hey, I'm glad to hear that she's gonna live. Vacuum leaks can cause some weird problems. The choke wire should run off of one of the alternator wires. I don't remember which one right off hand though. I'm sure that it will be great to have her on the road again!!!! Let me know how it runs. Jimmy

Old 01-02-2003, 09:16 AM
460429_freak
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-03 AT 10:18&nbsp;AM (EST)]stupid question for ya have you taken the valve cover off and looked for a bent push rod while turning the motor over???? my dad's linclon done that one day he was starting it started fine gave it a little rev on the motor and it popped started to mis and act funny we pulled the valve cover off and the push rod was bent like a pretzel fixed it and still no problems with it also our 79 460 was missing we though the same thing was wrong with it not!! actully the lifter had collasped or should I say blowed apart it was in peices so try this my fellow ford friend hope it helps

FORDS always look better when pulling a CHEVY

Old 01-11-2003, 07:58 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru

Well LXman, she runs pretty good I'd say for one tired old motor. we haven't done a leak-down test yet, then after that we'll determine what road to take. She was never a rocket ship, and she has run pretty rough the few years I have had her. But boy oh boy she runs pretty good now. Ton and a half of coal in back, and she acted like nothing was there. I hope to save enough money to build a new motor slightly hopped up for this summer with the help of my friend. This 460 will be set aside for a future rebuild. I can't believe that that stupid gasket was giving me that much trouble. And the choke not working either, I wish I had the forthought to check that one earlier on. We pulled the valve covers and checked the rods too, luckily none were bent. Thanks for your guys help, I can't wait for a new more powerful motor, but at least this one is plenty good to do my stuff with. Heck, I may just wait until this one falls apart, which in all honesty is probably gonna be awhile, and put some money into the body and paint. Thanks again, Blair

Old 01-11-2003, 11:46 PM
LxMan1

Post Still at it, where's the problem?

Congrads. I love mine. It's got all of the power I need and gets better mpg than the 351W that I pulled out of it. If I ever get the 3.70 gears that I need, I'll be set.

Old 01-12-2003, 12:01 PM
E4ODnut
Junior User