Sponsored by:

No Camshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:17 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Camshafts?

I have been reading this forum for a while now and have heard a lot of talk about high performance modifications but I dont recall ever hearing about any one installing a high lift cam. Is this not possible on a diesel?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Anythings possible, but you've already got high compression, a turbo charger and direct injection. You're money would be better spent in other places. There's just no bang for the buck.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replacing the cam on a 6.0 requires removing the crank. This, perhaps obviously, takes the operation out of the realm of most backyard mechanics. The cam is a rear-drive cam (i.e. the cam drive is at the back of the engine, not the front like most gas V-8's). According to Matt at Spartan, the flywheel assembly blocks the cam removal, and the balanced and indexed flywheel cannot be easily removed from the crank without creating massive problems. (I also had the same question.)

Also, force-feeding (i.e. turbocharging) changes the flow equations to such an extent that the stock cam is almost as big as it can be and still have acceptable idle quality.

Given that folks are pulling 500 RWHP out of the 6.0 without changing the cam, there are better places to spend the money.

-blaine

Last edited by Frankenbiker; 12-28-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 PM
16diesel
Senior User
high lift=long duration witch= torque loss. most every body that runs extermly modded drag trucks (cummins) have costum ground cams. they make up for the loss in torque and compression by simply forcing more air in with turbos. pullin truck and tractors also have custom ground cams most of the time when u get into the top levels

Old 12-31-2007, 03:06 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your going to have to grind that cam if your wanting to really get the truck moving(550 and plus hp, for sure by time time you hit 600 you'll need to do that to really make it efficient). Matt's beein trying to talk me into it for a while now, and eventually I'll probably crack under the pressure and get it done.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM
04superduty
Elder User
the next step in high performance from the factory is probably going to be removing the cam all together. less rotating mass and greater control of valve timing.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
no onde makes cams for theae engines. get rid of the cams, rotating mss from a little slow turnin cam? what is going to open and close the valves? what is in your morning coddee? i would really cut it out.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:41 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oltrucker
no onde makes cams for theae engines. get rid of the cams, rotating mss from a little slow turnin cam? what is going to open and close the valves? what is in your morning coddee? i would really cut it out.
Sorry oltrucker but the industry is developing electronically controlled valves. I'm not saying I think it's a good idea but it IS the direction of development.

Don't get yer panties in a bunch but I've read a few of your other posts and while some of the information is fine, other information is not. 50 years in trucking doesn't make a pro in todays computer controlled crap. I am including myself in that statement and I've been around and owned trucks, equipment, diesel's since I was a sprout.

Please don't take that statement the wrong way, just telling it how I see it.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i personally don't think you need a new cam on these till 700+ (fyi there are a couple 700+ rwhp 7.3s and only 1 6.0? :-P just playin guys no harm intended lol)

Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
and i dont think in our life times we will see diesel pickup truck engines with electrically controled valves. more advances in injecters and fireing them, sure. but there nis a limit to tecnoligy,,how much can the consumer afford? we can make engines that make 10 hp per cube,,but they cost a million dollars. my attitude is to not get carried away with all this technology. im far from an old ingnorant fool. i have seen and lived with and operated and seen the advantages of the electronically controlled modern truck engines. and i also see the mis-information tosed around here in this forum by people who have absolutlly no clue as to what they are talking about. the new 6.4 will be a fine engine im sure,,if i didnt think this, i sure wouldnt be getting one. i have been an advocate for a twin turbo set up as being the only answer to the turbo lag problem. new technology? not at all. its just an aplication that was finally done after the variable vane turbos just didnt work as advertised. the enginers cn develop all kinds of new hi technoligy engines for us right now,,but what will the consumer think when he is told that the new 2010 ford psd diesel is a $20,000.00 option? i payed a $11,000.0 option for a 600 hp KTA Cunnins diesel in 1980. but i could have had a 440 ncimmins for 3 grand too. i never once regreted paying for that totally amazing 600 hp torque monster, but i had a choice. so, how much technology will we pay for? i think good old cams and push rods will be with us for a long time. in 1974 i had a dual over-head cam cat,,the old 1693 cat 425. a fine engine but an awful expensive engine if it needed rebuild.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:30 PM
04superduty
Elder User
unfortunately the techno mumbo jumbo is going to stick around and get worse or better, depending on your perspective. any way you can reduce the rotating mass the better, and with infinitely variable valve timing you could more precisely control how an engine operates. the little slow turning cam is little, add in both cams and the related cam drive hardware and it can add up quick.
also, you could have a true jake brake with just a little computer programming, instead of adding the jake box, wiring and all the extras.
i am not certain what they are going to use to open the valves, maybe use oil like what is currently used on the 7.3 and 6.0 to open the fuel injectors, or maybe electricity, who knows.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and i dont think in our life times we will see diesel pickup truck engines with electrically controled valves.
My friend, just wait and see

OEM technology is already under development and has been since 2002. It WILL be implemented and available on-market before the end of the next decade.

www.sturmanindustries.com

I have had several long talks one of their engineers; during a current project I am working on. The OEM's are largely funding the development of just such technology and trust me, they are pushing for it fast.

Myself personally, I'm a huge proponent of the new and and coming technologies. I honestly feel that electronic valve control will be the next huge step in powerplant technology and will affect the automotive and equipment world in a manner even larger than electronic fuel injection.

No matter anyone's opinion; we did not get where we are today by being pacified with current technology. To me, its never "good enough".

Last edited by PSD 60L Fx4; 01-13-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as a side note, I've got three different versions of our billet cams available as I type this So easy on the assumptions.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
ag30265
Posting Guru
Ya'll beat me to it!!! Who needs a cam???? We're working toward solenoid controlled valves and when that technology happens you'll see much smaller engines making much more power in the stock form, therefore we will have much more efficient engines and be able to do alot more power upgrading and downgrading with the ole laptop......anyone who has had the chance to see and understand the vtech system knows what variable valve timing is capable of.....I can only imagine the power!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Looking foward to seeing it myself, friends and I have been talking abou it for years.
And like you said it will be something else we could pefect to what we want with our laptops. And they do have mecanicaly controlled valve timming witch works greate but takes power away from the engin to run it. So the next logical step would be electronicaly controlled vavles. cant wait..........

Quick Reply: No Camshafts?