1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Timing 2.3l????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:16 PM
mustanginca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing 2.3l????

How do I set the timing on an 1988 ranger 2.3l? I'm putting a new head from an 1988 mustang? Thanks.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Set the piston to the very top of the cylinder, top dead center.

If the distributor is still in the engine, turn the aux shaft so that the rotor cap is pointing to #1 spark plug. If the distributor is not in the engine, auxilary shaft position doesn't matter.

On the back timing cover you will see three marks on the cover at about 5 o'clock below the timing gear. On the cam gear you will find one of the teeth has a triangle on it base. Line this triangle with the center mark of the three on the timing cover.

Install belt, turn the engine manually a couple of rotations in its normal direction of travel, clockwise if you are in front of the engine. Re-check the marks for alignment. jd

Old 12-23-2007, 11:07 PM
mustanginca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I think I put the triangle on the timing gear across from the timing marks instead of next to them. I'll move it tomorrow. I gave up today. I put it all together and only got a click when I tried to turn it over. I have to get vaccum lines for it anyways. None of that is hooked up.