Sponsored by:

2" body lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Cheshire Cat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2" body lift

Hi, i just bought a 2" body lift for my 74 bronco. Is there any tricks or anything else i need to buy befor installing the lift or will everything still work right? thanks for any help...

Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would recommend replacing the body mount bushings with poly when you install the body lift.

Soak the body bolts with penetrating oil a few times a day or two before you plan on doing it. And use a wire brush or wire wheel to clean the exposed threads. Will make a big difference on how easily the bolts come out.

The original bushings have metal washers and sleeves. The top sleeve fits into the bottom and holds it to the frame. A trick I learned is to use a punch that will just fit into the lower washer and drive it upwards toward the body. In most cases, they should come apart easily this way.

If you have a manual trans, the clutch linkage will need to be lengthened. There are upgraded extended linkages available that are much stouter than the L shaped factory version. If you have a column shift or an automatic, you will need to lengthen the rod.

You may need to adjust the steering column to reach the steering box. In some cases, you may need to do some changes to the steering shaft. The rag joint can be put into a bind which can cause premature failure and steering bind.

You may need to change the throttle linkage, but not in most cases.

You will need to cut out the bottom of your fan shroud or replace it with an aftermarket steel version.

You will want to loosen the clamp that holds the master cylinder hoses and readjust the length as needed.

With a 2", you may need to extend your fuel filler hose on the main tank. When I did mine, the fill hose was fine, but I had to put on a longer vent hose.

Jason

Old 12-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,619 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
Hi, i just bought a 2" body lift for my 74 bronco. Is there any tricks or anything else i need to buy befor installing the lift or will everything still work right? thanks for any help...
Cool, I just bought a full kit myself body mounts and all. I have not started yet but seems pretty straight forward. I will follow along to see how it goes as I won't get started until next spring with mine. Sense I am driving it to work these days.

Tim