1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:33 AM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc Brake Conversion

I recently bought a front disc brake conversion kit supplied by CPP. I will be running front disc's and rear drums. The kit includes the booster, master cylinder, combination valve etc. The prop valve is not adjustable. My brother in law who has been a mechanic all his woking career said i should have an adjustable prop valve. I went on CPP web site and read through their trouble shooting guide and according to them the adjustable prop valve is not DOT approved and is for racing applications only.
I am not expecting any problems with the kit i bought but if anyone has any comments or issues they had to deal with please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

Old 12-09-2007, 08:42 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
I wouldn't expect a problem, but you can buy an adjustable pressure valve you plumb into the line after the PV to the brake that is locking up prematurely if needed. You can also balance the brakes with different compound linings and even changing the width of the rear brakes. Unless heavily loaded the rear brakes on a pickup are going to be doing very little work.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
ghall
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
used a complete kit on a 56...

i added residual valves after initial install... thought it was necessary because of long pedal travel.

seemed to slightly help.
it stops great though.