Sponsored by:

Tire and Performance Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:06 AM
ex2k
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire and Performance Recommendations

I have a 2000 Excursion V10 4x2, in the next couple of months I am going to need new tires and want to spend a little on improving performance.

I was wondering what tires people have had good experiences with, right now I am leaning towards Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs – anyone run these and have good/bad things to say.

For performance improvements I want to start with a catback exhaust and a chip/tuner.

It looks like the two options out there (in my price range) are the Gibson and the Dynomax, are there any others? What do people that have these think of them in regards to: sound, power, ease of installation?

As far as the chip/tuner I really want to improve the shift points and get any possible improvements that are available using 87 octane gas.

Finally are there any intake options out there that flow more air but do not have the possibility of allowing more dirt into the engine - like the K&N.

Any other mods I should consider?

Old 12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I have BFG all terrains and they do pretty well. My Next set is going to be Toyo Open Country MTs. Just stay with a D or E load range.

The trinity for beginning mods is Intake, Exhaust and then chip. Get more air in, get more air out and then add more fuel.

I have a gibson single out system, it's nice. However, as soon as it begins to fail, I am going with a Corsa system. Corsa's sound is growing on me. Exhaust systems offer little in performance gains on their own.

For tuners, Any of the big names will do what you want. For fords, I prefer Superchips over hypertech and most of the rest. Edge's new evolution is pretty cool though. I am running a Sniper Special Forces and it's the most feature packed, end user friendly tuner I have found, and they have data logging/wide band o2 coming soon.

For cold air, there is nothing wrong with K&N. I have read the bs about them not filtering and I have received a 3 hour lecture on filtering. I still run K&N and do not believe it will fail as long as I put it together correctly. If you still insist on extreme filtering, check out trueflow http://www.trueflow.com/ They are about better filtering without losing flow.

Shift firmness is better done with a shift kit, I am very happy with my Factory tech valve body. It was easy to install and I have returned my computerized shift firmness back to stock. However, with the valve body, I can chirp 1-2 shift.

Gears, depending any tire changes, gear changes can make your vehicle feel thousands of pounds lighter.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:01 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with reax. I have BFG a/t and i like them. They just dont last long. I to am looking at toyo mt or bfg mt when these wear out

Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
ex2k
Junior User
Thanks for the input, I just ordered a Gibson exhaust and the Factory Tech valve body. Getting it tuned soon as well.

One more question, does Energy Suspension offer the endlink bushings for a 2wd truck. I am guessing that this one (http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=44381) would work. Has anyone installed these?

Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I just bought some Pirelli STR's. I've had them for about 2 weeks and like them so far. They ride smoother and quiter than the Firestones the Excursion had to begin with. As for performance mods, I don't have anything to say.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ReAX
For cold air, there is nothing wrong with K&N. I have read the bs about them not filtering and I have received a 3 hour lecture on filtering. I still run K&N and do not believe it will fail as long as I put it together correctly.
The K&N filters fine for a gasser, so if you're thinking the "BS" applies to the V10 or the 5.4L, you're right, it's BS, but you're also wrong, because regarding diesels, the lack of filtering well enough does apply, so it's not BS.

While I'm not sure where you obtained your info, or how you came to the conclusion the lack of filtering with a K&N setup is BS regarding PSD's, you should know the K&N setup has been proven to be less effective in filtering than the stock setup, the AIS, or the AFE stage 2 setup, as evidenced by studies that have been posted in the PSD forum.

Regardless however, the point is moot since the OP has a V10.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 12-28-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:31 AM
whjco
Elder User
I've run the Michelin LTX E series on my past Suburbans and my present Excursion and my E350 extended work van and love them. Great ride and good road adhesion. The X came with a set of BJ Goodrich ATF D rated which were good tires but were also noisier and had rather poor wet road adhesion as compared to the Michelins.

BJ Lexington, KY

Old 12-29-2007, 11:51 AM
2manykids
Senior User
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
I agree with reax. I have BFG a/t and i like them. They just dont last long. I to am looking at toyo mt or bfg mt when these wear out
Does the BFG mt last longer than the BFG a/t? I thought that the mt were a softer tire with a deeper faster wearing tread and is their a difference in the sidewall for towing purposes?

Old 12-29-2007, 12:48 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ex2k
I have a 2000 Excursion V10 4x2, in the next couple of months I am going to need new tires and want to spend a little on improving performance.

I was wondering what tires people have had good experiences with, right now I am leaning towards Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs – anyone run these and have good/bad things to say.

For performance improvements I want to start with a catback exhaust and a chip/tuner.

It looks like the two options out there (in my price range) are the Gibson and the Dynomax, are there any others? What do people that have these think of them in regards to: sound, power, ease of installation?

As far as the chip/tuner I really want to improve the shift points and get any possible improvements that are available using 87 octane gas.

Finally are there any intake options out there that flow more air but do not have the possibility of allowing more dirt into the engine - like the K&N.

Any other mods I should consider?
I had Michelin LTX m+s tires, my experience is they wear out way to fast, mine were shot at 28k miles=junk...BFG rugged trail load range E will last for 50k miles or more and if you get the E-range tire it will have a stiffer sidewall due to more plys in the sidewall, and they will handle a little better than D range tires for sure!! I have also had Toyo Open Country AT's & MT's, the MT's last much longer, but I noticed you have a 2wd Ex....your call though, Michelin's aren't all that!! Does your Ex have sway bars on it? If not that will help body roll and it will handle a little better too! Hellwig makes those sway bars!! You are doing the right thing getting first hand info from people here at FTE!!

As for V-10 hp improvements I can only repeat what I have read here....since I own a diesel. I know many have said the exhaust systems do no good as far as any noticeable power or mpg's....they definitely do not respond like the diesels do with mods. Just know buying mods for the V-10 will = less power than say a diesel. So for hp's per $dollar spent it might not be that great of money well spent!!

All I can say is STAY AWAY FROM K&N, for gas or diesel engins!!! I have spent $$ having my air intake, throttle body and various sensors cleaned on my gas motor because I used that K&N crap........stay away for sure!! I cleaned my K&N religiously, doesn't matter it will let dirt in for sure!!! Read around a little bit I think AFE is a better setup, others will chime in on this one for sure!!

Maybe there is a supercharger available for the V-10, I am not sure but spending money on other mods might not be money well spent if you are expecting a lot of extra power!! GOOD LUCK with your EX!!

Last edited by scottman70; 12-29-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:26 PM
whjco
Elder User
Originally Posted by scottman70
I had Michelin LTX m+s tires, my experience is they wear out way to fast, mine were shot at 28k miles=
I don't know what to say . . . .

I've averaged about 80,000 miles on the Michelins. I rotate/balance them at 6k - 10k intervals.

BJ Lexington, KY

Old 12-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Move over I'm coming
Senior User
I have Bridgestone A/T Revo tires load range E and love them.
They have full all weather grooves (no wear bars at 50% tread left).
They also come siped from factory for winter traction.
The Michelin LTX M/S are also a great tire (my dads truck)
Don't put cheap tires on because you will get what you buy. Junk=Junk.
Go load range E especially if you ever plan on towing anything.(they are about $40/tire more.)
Go to the V-10 forum and you will see that most tuners for the V-10 are not worth their cost as the factory tune is about as good as it gets.
Spend that extra money on suspension modifications or toys.
Your creature comforts will make up for any lack of performance which are slight considering you drive a 4 ton beast.
If you wanted a race vehicle you should have bought a car or a diesel Ex.
Welcome to the Ex family, Rich.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
jjbirish
Senior User
i had Michelin X LT on my van TV... i had a blow-out on one rear, and replaced the pair but the front are still on it... there was well over 100,000 on them at the time of the blow-out...

i will most likely put Michelin's on my X as well, but don't know what mileage to expect with it being a 4x4 and the van 2wd... i do check tires often and listen to what they tell me as far as repairs and adjustments...

my only problem with tires is, i am cheap and won't replace them if it's not needed... by then sometimes the tires have a higher value than the vehicle...

Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 PM
davecarpe
Freshman User
I have no idea why some of you complain about the Michelins. I bought them because when I did my homework they were recommended by Excursion owners over every brand I could find and I checked a lot of places. I have had my Michelin LTX M/S for over 60K miles this far and they still have tons of tread left.

I don't run them in the Winter any more since I am a firm believer in Winter Tires for best performance in cold weather. They tires are great though. They ride and drive well and wear like iron with my 2002 Exucrsion with 7.3L PSD.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:50 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 2manykids
Does the BFG mt last longer than the BFG a/t? I thought that the mt were a softer tire with a deeper faster wearing tread and is their a difference in the sidewall for towing purposes?
The A/T outlasts the M/T because it is less agressive

Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
I agree with scottman about the K&N filter. It lets in way to much dirt no matter how often u clean it. Their are tests on the internet to back this up. My opinion is, why u would change the intake and lessin the life of ur engine when ur not gonna feel the power imporvement, since it is a 8k truck???

Quick Reply: Tire and Performance Recommendations