1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture problem on the Alaska Highway!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 PM
pryortuck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moisture problem on the Alaska Highway!

This is my first post. My wife and I love our 2001 F-250, 7.3 Diesel with 160,000 miles on it now. Last May we headed for Alaska and ran into a mechanical problem from the very beginning of the trip. The first rain we ran into caused the engine to cut out briefly and then resume. The surge or lurch created by this was intense and scary, especially when you’re on the ALCAN. "Check Engine" light illuminated. The truck drives great in dry weather but the problems begin with any wetness on the road or water sprayed by other vehicles usually within 10 minutes.

I immediately changed out the fuel filter. This seemed to help a little but did not solve the problem. Next, I used “Sea Foam” (3 cans over 500 miles) for water elimination and injector cleaning. We had several occurrences of the problem on the way back from Alaska whenever we ran into rain. The engine would also just shutdown when in Park.

Now back in dry Arizona I found what is called the fuel/water separator thanks to info I read from this forum. It had never been emptied in the two years I have owned the vehicle! I found the lever next to the fuel filter. I don’t know why none of the mechanics I spoke with mentioned it. I emptied the contents into a clear container but did not see any signs of water in the bottom. But some of the fluid may have overshot the container when I opened the valve. Could this have been the problem? Has anyone else ever experience this problem when it’s wet? Also, which is the best mechanics shop manual for this truck?

Many thanks,

Tom Pryor

Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 PM
redford
Received 1,629 Likes on 953 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

I've always wanted to drive the Alcan hiway. I'll bet it was a blast.

Now, about your truck;
Did a mechanic check the codes related to the CEL?
Have you replaced your CPS (CMP or CAMP) yet?
Have you read about the recall?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 PM
pryortuck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No codes were checked.
CPS or the others have not been replaced. I have not read about the recall.
Thanks,
Tom