New Hampshire Chapter Join Chapter Leader: 7283-F250

BIGKEN is going bigtime

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,109 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by sglaine
Good Morning everyone..Is Global Warming affecting you guys yet?
As a matter of fact...global warming IS affecting me right now!!! Ice dams on the roof...water streaming down the bathroom walls...damaging paint...sheetrock...insulation. Got a couple of guys coming over to break up the ice...clear some of the roof. Then...I have to see if insurance will cover some of the interior damage!!!

Just one more reason why I HATE winter!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
As a matter of fact...global warming IS affecting me right now!!! Ice dams on the roof...water streaming down the bathroom walls...damaging paint...sheetrock...insulation. Got a couple of guys coming over to break up the ice...clear some of the roof. Then...I have to see if insurance will cover some of the interior damage!!!

Ken I think your going through Global Frezzing

Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Ken don't blame global warming..

We all know it was caused by the steam coming of your head while Fuming about having to clean all the cars..

But we understand you have to tell the insurance company a better story..

Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by donjamer
Ken don't blame global warming..

We all know it was caused by the steam coming of your head while Fuming about having to clean all the cars..

But we understand you have to tell the insurance company a better story..

His insurance might go up as a result the claim ...But he says he hates winter..But lightning could strike during the summer and cause more damage..Like hitting a tree in the back yard and dropping that through his house.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
gray91
Elder User
Originally Posted by glruff
Congrats gray on threethreethree ya ho
Yeah right.. This place is getting addictive. I hold the big salesman responsible, I was all nice and quiet until Nov 16th when he pulled me out from my hiding place by dropping a note in my PM box.. Then I went to that Worcester GTG and now can's shut up.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:48 AM
gray91
Elder User

How old is this house? Got gutters? Have ice dams on mine every time it snows a lot but fortunately it doesn't come through the wals.. The roof has problems elsewhere. But that's a problem for another day.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:49 PM
BIGKEN
Originally Posted by gray91
How old is this house? Got gutters? Have ice dams on mine every time it snows a lot but fortunately it doesn't come through the wals.. The roof has problems elsewhere. But that's a problem for another day.
Condos were built in '87...new roof (shingle over) in '06. No gutters to trap ice...the section that is problematic is north facing and doesn't get a lot of sun. Had the same issue...to a lesser degree about 15 years ago. Talked to a few roofers this morning...all but one wanted to put me on a list for later in the week... ...got one guy to do the job tomorrow...still gonna be a lot of damage to paint...sheet rock...insulation!!! Gotta check with my insurance carrier!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Ken does your roof have metal flashing?

Old 12-18-2007, 02:55 PM
BIGKEN
Ken does your roof have metal flashing?
Negative on the metal flashing.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:24 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Negative on the metal flashing.

Maybe think about it and see if that could help in the future and it did on my house

Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM
BIGKEN
Maybe think about it and see if that could help in the future and it did on my house
I've heard pros and cons...the roofer who did the shingle over recommended against it...as did two other roofers who gave me estimates.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
donjamer
I've heard pros and cons...the roofer who did the shingle over recommended against it...as did two other roofers who gave me estimates.
It really depends on the pitch of the roof.. You probably have a low pitched roof..

What you need and they should have done is install the rubber weatherseal down first then roof over it.. It comes in 3 ft rolls I believe.

This should be done at least to the edge of the roof.. Do the whole roof if you have a low pitch to be safe.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM
BIGKEN
It really depends on the pitch of the roof.. You probably have a low pitched roof..

What you need and they should have done is install the rubber weatherseal down first then roof over it.. It comes in 3 ft rolls I believe.

This should be done at least to the edge of the roof.. Do the whole roof if you have a low pitch to be safe.
The pitch isn't terribly steep...4/12 I think. When I had the shingle over done last summer...I had the product you're referring to put down. The issue...I believe...is that it is a north facing roof that gets very little sun as it backs up to a mountain. It warms up somewhat during the morning and then cools very rapidly. This is just the second event in 21 years...and a lot more damaging to the interior than the last one. I probably won't file an insurance claim...I know a very good handyman who works very cheap...and if you file claims they threaten to put you into a pool...raising your rates. I can probably get the repairs done for a bit more than the $500 deductible. I'll save the first claim for something big...hoping it never comes!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:39 PM
donjamer
The pitch isn't terribly steep...4/12 I think. When I had the shingle over done last summer...I had the product you're referring to put down. The issue...I believe...is that it is a north facing roof that gets very little sun as it backs up to a mountain. It warms up somewhat during the morning and then cools very rapidly. This is just the second event in 21 years...and a lot more damaging to the interior than the last one. I probably won't file an insurance claim...I know a very good handyman who works very cheap...and if you file claims they threaten to put you into a pool...raising your rates. I can probably get the repairs done for a bit more than the $500 deductible. I'll save the first claim for something big...hoping it never comes!!!
Sounds like a smart move on the insurance thing..

When you had the weatherseal put down they must have just done one course..
Should have done the whole roof..

Also do you have gutters?

If so rip them off.. They are the major cause of roof ice damming..

Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
BIGKEN
Sounds like a smart move on the insurance thing..

When you had the weatherseal put down they must have just done one course..
Should have done the whole roof..

Also do you have gutters?

If so rip them off.. They are the major cause of roof ice damming..
No gutters...they came off years ago...neighbors tree took them out...didn't damage the building. The neighbor thought it was funny...until I explained to him that he was the one who was going to remove the tree...and take down the gutters and downspouts!!!

Quick Reply: BIGKEN is going bigtime