Upper Hose Collapse upon Cool-down

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM
TOUGHLover
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper Hose Collapse upon Cool-down

I've seen it before, but have always wondered (as I've never seemed to be able to "remedy" the situation): what causes my upper radiator hose to collapse, like it's being sucked-shut (squeezed/pinched closed), when my vehicle cools down? I'm supposing some sort of air-pocket/air-lock type of thing, but my expansion tank stays within range (though I did over-fill it recently) - but then shouldn't that cause the system to 'balance-out' (i.e. replace whatever space may be dis-placed by air)??

Just curious (or am I IN TROUBLE HERE!?!.)

Thx!
glenn ...

Last edited by TOUGHLover; 12-05-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
It isn't allowing the vacuum to pull the water from the overfill it is usually a problem
with the radiator cap or if it is pulling the water it needs from the of and still collapsing
the hose you probably have weak hoses. There is a cure for it and that is a big spring
that goes inside the rad hose the full length of it since it is usually the longest hose
that has the problem you only need one.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:24 PM
TOUGHLover
Elder User
Thumbs up

Yes sir thanks. Most likely the radiator-cap I suppose as I changed the radiator hoses this past summer (approx. 6 months, about 10,000 miles ago). The cap is always ('often seems' to be anyway) a likely suspect (am on my second, maybe third, in 7/8 years - 162,000 miles). I'll "attempt" to clean it up first and see if that helps - I've found plenty of times that parts such as this can often be cleaned - sort of 'renewed' - to extend their life - at least a li'l bit).

Of course, I could have a weakness in a heater-hose considering the age/mileage (though they both appear to be in real good shape). I haven't really found (seen/noticed) any other 'by-pass' type hoses or anything in the system. God-forbid a head gasket or something of the like - can't afford that right now!

Thanks again - will let you know what I find.

glenn ...
PS - I have always preferred those straight ("flex"?) hoses with the spiral wire inside - tough to find anymore (I think??) - everything seems to be pre-molded - at least the ones with proper measurements for my app. - Thx again.

Last edited by TOUGHLover; 12-07-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 PM
beetle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most likely a bad radiator cap. It not only releases excess pressure but also has a valve that allows air to enter the cooling system when the engine cools off.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:25 PM
TOUGHLover
Elder User
Wink

Cleaned-up the cap, and she quit SUCKING the upper hose closed. Saved myself $5/$10 for another 'who knows how long' (??).

Thanks again,
glenn ...