'88 2.6 V6 FI — engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 AM
GDII
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'88 2.6 V6 FI — engine cutting out

Hi there,

I have a 1988 BII, 2.9L V6 FI. For the past 6 years or so, it's had a problem whereby after running it for a while, depending on speed and temperature, it dies when it slows down enough.

If I keep my foot on the gas it never happens, but when I let off, it sputters and cuts out. It never happens on short trips (I can drive 10 minutes around town and nothing happens), but depending on the weather (it seems to do better and go longer when it's colder) and my speed (when I drive slower it makes it further) I can drive as little as maybe 20 minutes (on a hot summer day) before it quits when my foot goes off the accelerator. Often I have to shift into neutral and keep the engine revved so I can put it in drive and go when the light turns or whatever. I've also noticed that if, after it happens, I turn the engine off, sit and let it cool off, it generally prolongs the time until it happens again, but not always.

I've looked through the forum, seen similar things, and took those solutions into consideration, but I wanted to make sure on my case, because it's been bugging us for a long time, and it kept making it a hassle to get to college.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:18 AM
jdhv002
Junior User
Like everyone else will tell you, you should start by checking the codes. But it sounds to me its the module in the dist,.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:07 PM
tchile
Junior User
maybe idle air motor, try cleaning it, testing it.