Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OK, first step on my Romp Romp fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I suck the oil out of the res, it's usually not any darker than what comes out of the pan. That may have something to do with the fact that I change the oil in the res every time though.

That res should have oil pumping through it at all times though. My gauges show it has about 20-25 psi in it, compared to the 50 psi in the block. There's also a port in the res, but I don't know if it supplys oil or is a place for excess oil to go. It seems to me that if it maintains 20 or so psi, the oil must go somewhere besides through the HPO pumps. You can see the port here, towards the lower right of the photo:

Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
When I suck the oil out of the res, it's usually not any darker than what comes out of the pan. That may have something to do with the fact that I change the oil in the res every time though.

That res should have oil pumping through it at all times though. My gauges show it has about 20-25 psi in it, compared to the 50 psi in the block. There's also a port in the res, but I don't know if it supplys oil or is a place for excess oil to go. It seems to me that if it maintains 20 or so psi, the oil must go somewhere besides through the HPO pumps. You can see the port here, towards the lower right of the photo:
Jeremy, I was looking at that pic with intense interest. I have not had mine apart but know that I was able to get my tube well below the bottom of the reservoir with a little manipulation. I think it went lower than the bottom of the reservoir or I bent it in there. I know for a fact that I got more oil out when I manipulated the tube and got it in further. So, the question is, is there a hole the tube could go further into? I would think there has to be as it would no longer yield oil.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Underneath that cover is a gasket with a screen in it. Your suction tube from the pump was hitting that screen. That screen has a little cup molded into it that the bottom of the cup is about 1" lower than the bottom of the HPOP res. If you were using the hole on the driver's side in the top of the res to suck the oil, you were getting to the bottom of that cup, which is why you felt it go below the res. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here's anothe pic - don't think my picture taking skills are worth crap. Schaeffer's oil is green and is a fresh sample on the left, the middle is the HPOP res and the right is the pan. They look about the same after spreading it out on paper like tenn suggested. Anyhow - this oil analysis (5,347 miles) came back with:

copper 6
Iron 19
chrome 1
alum 3
lead 6
silicone 5
oxidation 1
nitration 1
% soot 0

I have about 6K on it now....

Last edited by white Buffalo; 12-12-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I can't find a pic of it anywhere, but I've had it in my hands when I put a new one in place because my res was removed to have the bungs welded in it for the gauges. Possibly, the part number is F6TZ-6619-AA. Maybe you can find a pic of it somewhere, but I couldn't. It's the bottom oil reservoir gasket.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Nice flower on the towel Rich. BTW, the HPOP res sample looks worse to me but I am already tainted. If anything it is marginal with your synthetic.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:51 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I thought you would like the flower - I did it for you. Good think Renee wasn't around to see me play with oil on the kitchen countertop - she'd hit me with that big a$$ pan....

Last edited by white Buffalo; 12-13-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
I thought you would like the flower - I did it for you. Good think Renee wasn't around to see me play with oil on the kitchen countertop - she'd hit me with that big a$$ pan....
lmao... Is it red? My wife has a big red one she always talks about whacking me with. So far no lumps, but I seem to keep pushing the envelope.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
lmao... Is it red? My wife has a big red one she always talks about whacking me with. So far no lumps, but I seem to keep pushing the envelope.
as long as it's red you're ok,them big black ones will kick your a$$

Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 804 Likes on 614 Posts
Or the gourmet rolling pin. You know, the one that is made out of marble.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Or the gourmet rolling pin. You know, the one that is made out of marble.
well kwik according to my dad and I never knew him to ever lie to me,he attested a wood rolling pin used correctly could have convincing results

Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Ok, here's what I found. Oil has 5k on it and is Rot. 5w40 syn. First syn oil, always have use 15w40 Delvac. First look the oil from the bottom of the HPOP and from the dipstick were the same color and thickness. After it began to soak through the paper I noticed small specks on the side from the HPOP that wasn't on the other side. The right is the HPOP and left is off the dipstick.

After seeing this I cranked the engine for a few minutes to mix the oil and drew off some more oil from HPOP and place on a new piece of paper. More specks showed up.

This next one is the same paper as the first only held up to the light for better see through effect.

Still wondering, I went for the coffee filter and got this.

These pictures are only showing a small part of the specks that were actually there. Just don't show on the pictures. I did the same thing with the coffee filter using oil from the dipstick and had no specks at all, keep in mind that I wasn't able to get as much as a time and the oil from the dipstick is from the top of the oil pan and the oil shown here is from the bottom of the HPOP.
The specks were more like grease or very thick globs of oil. Nothing hard about it at all. Very easily smeared away with gentle amount of pressure.
Now what does this? I don't have a clue, but there is something differant in the oil by the way I tested it. I hope the pics show what I am seeing. I didn't post the pic with the filter and dipstick oil as it showed only an oily coffee filter and very clean looking residue. So some of you smarter people can analize this and it will probably amount to nothing more that a differance in the way it was collected. Maybe it is left over dino 15w40 from 5k miles ago. If nothing else, maybe this will add a coulpe more post in Mikes quest for a record setting thread. And for those that are about to comment on my oil condition, it looks a lot dirtier in the pics than it looks here.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by zx250
Ok, here's what I found.

These pictures are only showing a small part of the specks that were actually there.
The specks were more like grease or very thick globs of oil. Nothing hard about it at all. Very easily smeared away with gentle amount of pressure.
Now what does this? I don't have a clue, but there is something differant in the oil by the way I tested it. I hope the pics show what I am seeing.
Great work, thanks Barry. I would say it is becoming a sludge at that point not unlike the stuff I found in my IPR. It would seem that if the oil was turning over properly that it would end up in the pan. If you haven't already done so, I would suck the rest of that oil out and fill with clean synthetic.

Let's see if some other folks chime in too.

It was not cold enough this morning for me to bother logging another start. Supposed to be 31* tomorrow morning. We'll see what happens.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Man Barry, you take much better pics than I do. I won't guess about the specs - how about sending in a sample for an oil analysis? Than will keep the guessing out of the equation IMO.

reference kitchen pan - The pan is black in my kitchen - better trade it in for a red one or a soft jiffy pop popcorn type.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:55 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Mike, sludge is the word I couldn't think of this morning when posting. Long night at and not much sleep. As for the pics, 8 hours at work thinking of the best way to make the pics work with limited supplies, well that and a new camera I am still learning. The oil was still warm from the drive home and the outside air was in the upper 50s.
One note I failed to mention, the first coffee filter test, using both oil samples, the oil from the pan filtered through the filter much faster than the oil from the HPOP. Maybe that it was just warmer/thinner.
The HPOP samples were not collect from the very bottom of the ressie. The rig I made was misjudged by what looked to be 1/2-3/4s of an inch. I wish I was closer to ready for an oil change and could do the same test from the bottom of the oil pan. I will look at work tonight for a much longer sample collection tube for the dip tube. One thing about working at a hospitial, Plenty of tubing and syringes to make collectors out of.

Quick Reply: OK, first step on my Romp Romp fix