1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

yet another starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 PM
FFemt5287
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another starter

well, some of you may recall my starter failing on my last spring (2006). at that time i had near zero mechanical skills so i took it to the local garage, said i wanted a new starter, specifying new, not reman, and $487 later my truck was back to me. now i never checked the starter to see if it was infact a new or reman unit.
(jump to 0900 this morning)
go to start the truck to warm her up for a few minutes while making lunch for school and............... you guessed it, nothing. starter solenoid clicked, but she was a no start. tried a million things... jiggled wires, checked connections, jumped starter solenoid terminals, shifted gears, pushed the truck a few feet foward, whacked it with a hammer, whacked it with a bigger hammer, still just the solenoid click. decided to jump the terminals on the starter itself. now all i had around was a pair of trauma shears so i said y not and went to jump the terminal. not taking into account the angle of the shears, i grounded out on the stud on the starter case and made a beautiful sparkler out of my shears. no harm to me. shears are welded shut . so i called said mechanic to see what he would honor as far as warranty on a "new" part. he looked in my file and said a reman unit was put in and there was only a 60 day warranty on it! needless to say, WE HAD WORDS! $487 for a reman starter installled?!?!?! hes killing me more than $3.65/gal for fuel! so i went to napa and got a reman starter for $200 with a 5 year warranty on it. had there not been a $115 core on the old starter, it would have gone through said mechanics office window, possibly with a bow on it just because its almost the holidays. long story short, truck starts and runs again, and im never, ever, ever going to any mechanic again.

-Brandon

Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Wow.. I hope I never have to experience a situation like that. Glad you got it going again.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
ingman
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Ffemt, Good Job man. Its amazing what you can learn here is't it. Good luck man

Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 PM
FFemt5287
Elder User
Originally Posted by ingman
Ffemt, Good Job man. Its amazing what you can learn here is't it. Good luck man
thanks, the things ive learned here in the last almost two years have saved me THOUSANDS of dollars im sure. conversely, they've also helped me spend thousands, lol. all money well spent and valuable knowledge gained. ull see in a short time....

-Brandon

Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
ohh that really sux... i would feed the mechanic a knuckle sandwich...