6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Reset vacuum valve on airbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Champ198
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what?

Originally Posted by oltrucker
the filter minder does nothing but tell you nhow pluged up your air filter is. unscrew it and take a look. where do you people get these ideas? you wil find one of these little jismoes on every big truck ,,they have been made and used on the big rigs for years.
Hey dude, we're not teenagers with our first trucks. You'd have to be living in a cave not to know these indicators have been around for years. Again, you're stating the obvious but making a mute point. Here's what you are missing and can't comprehend. . . .they usually don't show an error on an air restriction unless the filter is clogged. The air filter indicator is registering "clogging" (i.e. Red) on some 6.4 trucks when its not clogged. Repeat - NOT CLOGGED.

Unscrew it and take a look? We have and the filters are clean. Second, you don't unscrew anything. The filter box has a set of latches. Third, the filter indicator is connected with wires to the trucks computer, which goes against your post eariler saying "it's not connected to anything".

I don't get your posts on reiterating what we already know and restating the obvious while trying your level best to insult us.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:42 PM
10000LBS
Junior User
clogging

Like many of you 08 owners I to have experinced this problem. I mentioned it to the Head desiel mechnic and he has stated to me that he has seen this a few times and was not sure why this was happening. Myself living up in the far north, my only conclusion for this to happen is after a fair amount of snow falling and collecting around the outside of where the intake is, when I started the truck, it would suck a fair amout of snow it and thus clogging the filter until there is enough heat in the engine compartment that the snow would melt and still leaving the air filter clean. but the "thingy"has been triggered. That is my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has done it once too with a little over 5,000 miles on the clock. It may have happened during the ice storm we had. I have been watching much closer since to see if it happens again and I can tie it to anything.

Mine was half way, no dash warning, and I never noticed any performance decrease, etc.

I've had the filter minders on my trucks since 95... In fact I added it to my 95. So I understand how they work.

Bob

Old 12-26-2007, 05:31 PM
pyro2nite
Senior User
I think the ice storm might be a hint. I noticed mine half way in the yellow after several days of rain. Only 2700 miles. Could the air intake be sucking in water/ ice/ snow, then when you take a look it has dryed out and looks OK? A wet filter , maybe K&N will argue , just won't draw the air like a dry one.

FYI the wires leading from the "thingy" goes to the computer and a warning light on the dash.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:37 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
the filter minder does one thing, it tells you when to replace your ir filter. it does nothing else.it styes ad the max vacume reading.the only reason to ever reset it is when you install new filter. dont worry about it, when it gets near the red line , buy a new filter element. you will find the identical filter minder on all the big trucks.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 PM
kawtiper
Senior User
the filter minder does one thing, it tells you when to replace your ir filter. it does nothing else.it styes ad the max vacume reading.the only reason to ever reset it is when you install new filter. dont worry about it, when it gets near the red line , buy a new filter element. you will find the identical filter minder on all the big trucks.
dood I am sorry but you sound like a broken record...you are not listening to what is being said. NEW FILTER...=..MINDER ...=.....READS PLUGED.....get it. that is not right.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:52 PM
versitek
Senior User
100$ a shot 5 miles then another 100$ 5 miles 100$ 5 miles----------------------- that could hurt mine to

Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
reseting the filter minders does nothing. all it is is a vacume guage that saves the highest reading to show you how pluged up yu filter element is. i think the new nes are wired to show you ne the dashboard when you should replace the filter. there is no need to ever reset it until you replace the element. where do these stories come from. its nthing but a meter to show the condition of the filter. big trucks have had them eversince they went to paper filters and that back in the 60;s.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 PM
versitek
Senior User
reseting the filter minders does nothing. all it is is a vacume guage that saves the highest reading to show you how pluged up yu filter element is. i think the new nes are wired to show you ne the dashboard when you should replace the filter. there is no need to ever reset it until you replace the element. where do these stories come from. its nthing but a meter to show the condition of the filter. big trucks have had them eversince they went to paper filters and that back in the 60;s.
broken record!!!! Every new and i mean new filter that i have put into this truck has triped the minder. So the filter minder is not telling me the filter is pluged. If i take the top of the air cleaner box of it doesnt read plugged. So it is telling me that there is a restriction in the intake it self! So if i pay a 100$ a shot for a filter and when i put a new one in and it reads pluged something is rong and i have gone through 4 of them so far.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why are you not listening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are people with less then 3000 miles on their air filter, and the filter minder says that their is a restriction! They buy a new filter, reset the filter minder, give it a hard run, and the filter minder says that there is a restriction again! They take off part of the air box, but still leave the filter on, they give it a good hard run, the filter minder still reads that everything is alright. What it so hard to understand about that?

Either ford is using the wrong filter minders, or there is a restriction in the airbox itself.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
killaford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Either ford is using the wrong filter minders, or there is a restriction in the airbox itself.

i think it a standard vacum gauge. there all scaled the same.

what is so had for people to understand about this problem.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:59 AM
kawtiper
Senior User
Originally Posted by killaford
i think it a standard vacum gauge. there all scaled the same.

what is so had for people to understand about this problem.
good question, kinda makes ya wonder.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 AM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
For what it's worth, yesterday I got the CEL when I first started the truck. Not the little wrench symbol, but the little motor symbol. It's still on, havn't had time to call the dealer to schedule an appointment. I did check my air filter minder and it was about 3/4 the way down. We've had some snow for the last couple of days and temps around 10 to 20 degrees F. I opened my air box and the filter looks clean and dry. I have almost 15,000 miles on mine. I will call for an appointment to get it checked out this morning.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
tel you what,,unscrew the filter minder and pug the hole.drive your truck,,there will be no change at al. it is nuthing but a guage that tells you how much nrestriction is in your filter . nuthing more ,,it stays at the higherst reading of vacume that it sees. what is so complicated about understanding this. the new ones may be wired to a warning light to change your filter in the new ones, but in no way do they controll anything in the engine. i have tried to expain that real BIG trucks have had them for many years to tell us truckers when their paper element filters were pluged up.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:53 PM
GMtoFord
Senior User
tel you what,,unscrew the filter minder and pug the hole.drive your truck,,there will be no change at al. it is nuthing but a guage that tells you how much nrestriction is in your filter . nuthing more ,,it stays at the higherst reading of vacume that it sees. what is so complicated about understanding this. the new ones may be wired to a warning light to change your filter in the new ones, but in no way do they controll anything in the engine. i have tried to expain that real BIG trucks have had them for many years to tell us truckers when their paper element filters were pluged up.

It still shouldnt be pulling down in the yellow though.

Quick Reply: Reset vacuum valve on airbox