6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Reset vacuum valve on airbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrpssFire
How can you tell if it needs to be reset?
When you see yellow instead of clear when you look at the guage on the airbox when the truck is not running. It may show some yellow when running, this is an indication that the airflow is diminished. When it locks out all the way it needs to be reset and probably needs the filter changes.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:36 PM
farnorthdan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Push the yellow reset on end of filter....aka "thingy"

Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Air filter restriction reset

I checked mine moments ago. The yellow indicator was almost touching the red. There appear to be two gradiant lines about 1/8" apart above the red. Mine was showing it was equal to the last line next to red. I pushed the reset and the yellow deal went all the way back up into the housing. I'll see how it runs. Mine has 7700 miles on it. The air filter should not be close to being restricted. I'll look at the filter in the daylight tomorrow. If it were in the red, would I get an indicator on the dash?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 AM
GMtoFord
Senior User
Has anyone been to the dealer for this prooblem yet? Im curious to see what they have to say.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Truck seemed sluggish with my SCT on it the other night I checked the filter minder and needed reset and it did make a difference. There is actually a Note mentioning this when the SCT is loading into the PCM.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM
GMtoFord
Senior User
I have been keeping the hose that goes into the lid unhooked.. Seems to help but it still goes into the yellow under a load.

Seems ford would have noticed that with all the R&D that was done on this truck.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
where do you people dream up these "problems"? the filter minder does nothng but she YOU the restriction in the filter. it is hooked to nothing and dosent HAVE to be resetuntil you instll a new filter. as it move out it stays at the higest vacume reading that it saw. BIG real truks have been using them eversince they started using paper air filters. look at any peterbilt/kenwoorth etc and you wil see the same filter minder. the exaxt same filter mnder. it isnt a ford product.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:16 PM
GMtoFord
Senior User
Well it shouldnt be 3/4 of the way up into the yellow with a new filter either. Seems as if Fpord should send out some new improved filter base's.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:29 PM
farnorthdan
Junior User
aka:::filter minder

OK so let me get this straight.....the filter minder (AKA:Thingy) is supose to tell me what the max vacuum seen is. Then why do they call it a filter minder. It would appear to me that this filter minder should tell me when my air filter is dirty and needs to be changed. Anyways somethings up with this thingy and we all know it; its trying to tell us something and I've yet to hear what............

Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by farnorthdan
OK so let me get this straight.....the filter minder (AKA:Thingy) is supose to tell me what the max vacuum seen is. Then why do they call it a filter minder. It would appear to me that this filter minder should tell me when my air filter is dirty and needs to be changed. Anyways somethings up with this thingy and we all know it; its trying to tell us something and I've yet to hear what............
With a clean filter, and good intake there should be very little restriction of air flow. Think of an engine like a vacuum cleaner. As the bag gets filled, not as much air will get sucked in, and there will be a larger vacuum around the bag, then if it was brand new and empty. The filter minder measures basically how hard the engine is trying to suck against the restriction of the filter and intake. Some vacuum cleaners actually have a similar device.

What people are finding out is that even with a clean filter, and the intake clear, the filter minder is still being triggered, which means under certain conditions, the engine is trying fairly hard to pull air through the intake or filter.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Sayonara
Senior User
wow, more stuff to check in the morning.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Sayonara
Senior User
checked mine and only saw a little yellow. i tried pushing the blue reset on the end but nothing happened. it must still be ok. 6700 miles.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Thumbs down Dreaming up problems?

Originally Posted by oltrucker
where do you people dream up these "problems"? the filter minder does nothng but she YOU the restriction in the filter.
Well Duh!!

Hey dude, wake up and smell the snake oil you've accused everyone of putting in their fuel tanks . . .

I must have been dreaming, along with these other guys, to see that the air filter restrictor indicator was pretty much indicating time to replace the filter. PREMATURELY I might add with all of us having clean filters. The problem is an air restriction is causing the indicators to activate. Dreaming?

You tell me if the 6.4 isn't getting enough air into the engine when it needs it? At what point does the indicator activate? Under load? High turbo? Do we even have an air restriction issue?

If you don't know, that's ok, but don't come on here and bash folks for sharing their perceptions.

Forget about the pushing of the reset and folks perception thinking it does anything. Who cares? It doesn't matter.

The real concern being expressed here is that the truck indicator is showing a restriction when it shouldn't.

Last edited by Champ198; 12-19-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:06 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
the filter minder does nothing but tell you nhow pluged up your air filter is. unscrew it and take a look. where do you people get these ideas? you wil find one of these little jismoes on every big truck ,,they have been made and used on the big rigs for years.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:53 PM
kawtiper
Senior User
Originally Posted by oltrucker
the filter minder does nothing but tell you nhow pluged up your air filter is. unscrew it and take a look. where do you people get these ideas? you wil find one of these little jismoes on every big truck ,,they have been made and used on the big rigs for years.
I am pretty sure we all agree with you oltrucker. I believe, at least in my case that with only 4500 miles on the truck and the filter looking spotless the "thingie" should not be registering anything. But it is registering resistance like it were partially plugged and to me, that is an issue.

Quick Reply: Reset vacuum valve on airbox