Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Project:10 Second F100

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
IZZYAZ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my '74 F100 for just over a month. My wife hasn't even looked inside, let alone go for a drive. It's just me and my Basset Hound.

I will say that since I have been driving the F100 I have got more thumbs up and people staring then I have ever had. I think it may be the truck and not me, but that is just my guess.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by IZZYAZ
I have had my '74 F100 for just over a month. My wife hasn't even looked inside, let alone go for a drive. It's just me and my Basset Hound.

I will say that since I have been driving the F100 I have got more thumbs up and people staring then I have ever had. I think it may be the truck and not me, but that is just my guess.
I have had mine since I was 16, so just over 8 years. My 5 year girlfriend has never been in it either.

I have also noticed that at the drag strip we get quite a few people that come over to look at the old ford. Not even a full race truck but lots of people interested in what all we have done.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
New toys (valentines day present) arrived today. Got a halon fire extinguisher and a free summit hat. Now I have at least 4 summit hats.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:41 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have also noticed that at the drag strip we get quite a few people that come over to look at the old ford. Not even a full race truck but lots of people interested in what all we have done.[/QUOTE] Hey your truck would be the first I would look at at the strip. Its definitly an eye catcher. I was at a mall the other day an it happened that a nice ol 79 F 250 was parked there. Really a nice truck. I dont know how many people went over an looked at it an just admired it. There are so few being driven around anymore. I wish I could fine a good used 79 around. Igd love to own one an restore it. These trucks will never go out off style.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:53 AM
tankrsc
Elder User
We have 2 79's that run down here at our local track. 1 step side and a slabside. Both are in the 7's in the 1/8. I will see if I can get a couple pics up in my gallery of them later this evening after work.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
droppedf100
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck seems to draw some attention at the truck as well. There always like "I had a truck just like this..." or "My dad had one just like it.." Its pretty cool when people notice the work you put into something.

I get this one too. "That motor would be fast if you put into a mustang" If I wanted a mustang Id buy one, lol. You cant please everyone.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by droppedf100

I get this one too. "That motor would be fast if you put into a mustang" If I wanted a mustang Id buy one, lol. You cant please everyone.
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that one I could have bought a Mustang. For me it isin't all about the time the truck runs, it is also about the time I have doing it.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by mwvdub
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that one
HAHAHAHA!!!

I wish i had a dollar for every time someone refered to my truck as a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive with a "built" 460 in it...

It was funny when i got my Chevelle a few years ago... The first day i took it to the track i would say about 40 people asked me questions along the lines of "Wheres the truck?" "You are still going to bring the truck out here arent you?" Towing the new race car with the old race car?" lol

I always liked when people would walk up to my truck...see the 14.32 dial... see it had hubs on the front, so they would look under it...see it had a leaf sprung front diff...then look under the hood and see the 400.

It will be nice racing something other than my daily driver though.

I had the dodge running for 15 minutes yesterday...un assisted. Sitting in the garage idling at about 700 rpm for that whole time it never got above 170 degrees...which is great because i was worried about it staying cool. Also i rebuilt an old 850 holley for it that has been on a few different race engines. The 850 ALWAYS had a dead spot, and a small sputter when punched to WOT.

Changed the jets drastically, messed around with the accelerator pump cams and positioning holes, put different pump squirters in for the primaries (bigger with nozzles) and the 2ndaries (smaller with no nozzles) no more dead spot or stumbling.

You still planning on putting together the engine this weekend??

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
BTW, fire extinguisher looks nice. Hopefully it goes on the list of nice things that never have to be used..like helmet, fire jacket, etc.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Colo79Ford
HAHAHAHA!!!

I had the dodge running for 15 minutes yesterday...un assisted. Sitting in the garage idling at about 700 rpm for that whole time it never got above 170 degrees...which is great because i was worried about it staying cool. Also i rebuilt an old 850 holley for it that has been on a few different race engines. The 850 ALWAYS had a dead spot, and a small sputter when punched to WOT.

You still planning on putting together the engine this weekend??
It has to feel nice to get the dodge running after all the work. Hopefully we will be up and running in a few more weeks.

Still planning on putting the engine together first thing on saturday. the problem is we don't have a rear main seal or head studs. they were supposed to be delivered from summit today but never showed up and I checked the ups site and my package has "experienced an exception" as they put it. So hopefully tomorrow it will show or we can't do anything without the rear main seal. Also still not totally sure what we need for pushrods. The heads are supposed to require new lengths to get the geometry right so we will have to wait for those also.

I really do hope that the fire extinguisher never leaves its mount on the roll cage. I am glad that I do have one now though. I don't see any problems but better to be safe.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
It has to feel nice to get the dodge running after all the work. Hopefully we will be up and running in a few more weeks.
It felt nice. When i switched the carb out for the 850, from the 950, i forgot to hook the PCV line up so the first time i started it it wouldnt idle..Took only a few seconds to figure that one out then it ran great. Im going to try and get the steel i need tomorrow to do the transmission crossmember, driveshaft loop and to bulkhead off the trunk since i have the fuel cell mounted back there now.

Still planning on putting the engine together first thing on saturday. the problem is we don't have a rear main seal or head studs. they were supposed to be delivered from summit today but never showed up and I checked the ups site and my package has "experienced an exception" as they put it. So hopefully tomorrow it will show or we can't do anything without the rear main seal. Also still not totally sure what we need for pushrods. The heads are supposed to require new lengths to get the geometry right so we will have to wait for those also.
Leave it to UPS. We used to have great delivery / pick-up service with UPS. Seems over the last year they have been going steadily downhill. The good thing about summit racing is it usually only takes 2-3 days to get parts that they have at their reno warehouse.

Dont worry, you have 1 month, 25 days, 10 hours, and 23 minutes until Bandimeres first test and tech, on April 12th. Im sure by then you w ill have everything put together, tuned, and street tested.

I really do hope that the fire extinguisher never leaves its mount on the roll cage. I am glad that I do have one now though. I don't see any problems but better to be safe.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:52 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Head studs and all engine gaskets arrived today so tomorrow the 514 is going together

Old 02-16-2008, 10:04 AM
tankrsc
Elder User

here are a couple pics of trucks that run our 1/8 mile Wildcat track down here. They both run in the 7's pretty easy, 460 in both, both run C6. Both could go faster if the track would hook alittle better

Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by tankrsc

here are a couple pics of trucks that run our 1/8 mile Wildcat track down here. They both run in the 7's pretty easy, 460 in both, both run C6. Both could go faster if the track would hook alittle better
What gear ratio in those trucks , and what diameter tire do you use when you race them in the 1/8th?

Old 02-16-2008, 01:56 PM
tankrsc
Elder User
They are both full frame trucks. Tire size is somewhere around 28-in tall on both Teddy (black truck) runs 15X12 Chrome reverse wheels 28X15-15 slicks. As for the gears I don't know what they run but in my Mustang I will be running 4:56 with my 460/C6 and DOT 275/50-15 BFG's. George Ray's doesn't hook the greatest so we have to realy try not to over power it. We do have some tracks that hook extremely well and will hold about all the power you can put to them. Yall check out our site when you get a chance. midsouthracers.com I go by Geovert on there come on check us out sometime.

Last edited by tankrsc; 02-16-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Project:10 Second F100