What do you think Pros?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 AM
atcer1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face What do you think Pros?

K, heres the deal. I have a 2002 fuel injected V6 thats not burning oil, good compression, etc. with 70k miles and no warranty. The #1 rod is knocking. I don't have the money to rebuild it until this spring. I am considering removing the spark plug inserting a threaded pipe into the spark plug hole and attaching a hose. I'm going to attach the other end of the hose to a small muffler to reduce the noise and run it on 5 cylinders until spring. I know it will run rough, thats ok, its a stick shift and I can drive it easily. I need to drive it around 25 miles a day at low speeds. The question is, Will the damage to the rod and crank stop getting worse? I think that since the rod is effectively freespinning, it won't get worse. Also, would I incur other damage? if so, what kind of damage do you think it might be and how could I limit that damageuntil I have the money to rebuild it.

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. Not sure what would happen. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

I have heard of people over the years, on various engines, removing the oil pan, and then removing the offending rod and piston completely.

I knew a guy who did so back when he was young (late fifites or early sixties I think) and he said he drove it like that from then on.