1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Questions on making a suspension lift kit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:53 AM
cletus_the_red
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on making a suspension lift kit.

Ok, I work in a metalworking shop as a welder, just to start things off.

Now i am a noobie at this kind of stuff, but i was woundering if i could make my own suspension lift kit. We have this machine at my workplace that can make thick steel's arched ad any length. basically i was woundering if i would need to do anything after i make them? like hardened?
I know i have to get ties to hold them together just like the origionals, i just want to know if it is safe to do it this way? or should i just put some money in for a suspension lift. My vehicle is a 1986 Ford f-150 4x4 manual transmission, and i am going to drop in a 79' 460.

Thanks for the information!
-I want to make a 4 inch suspension lift.
-I forgot to add this. I been hearing from a lot of sources that the f-150 - 450 of the 80's fords all had the same frame (like the mounts i mean) could i put leafs in the front instead of coil springs? If it is at all possible. If i get a lot of disapproval toward making my suspension lift anyone think that if i put the suspension from my 79' econoline would be a good idea? it has the coil springs in front and a lot of leafs in the back.

Last edited by cletus_the_red; 11-18-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:26 AM
blue beast
Posting Guru
http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering.html
Just don't do any of that and you should be alright, Hit next page there's a bunch
and if you see something you are planning maybe redesign it!! The thing about lifts
is that you limit yourself on some trails at least where I live it is treed in and if your
lifted you are not making it down the trail sure it looks good, but is it needed? Would
cutting fenders and maybe just a couple inches work.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
You cannot convert to leaf springs, unless you want to fab it all up. The f250's have leaves up front, but they have a different axle beam, and a different front frame to accommodate it all.

If you study a commercial lift kit, you will get an idea what you need. The taller springs, longer shocks, a bracket to lower the center axle pivot points, and brackets to lower the radius arm brackets. You also need to get a dropped pitman arm for the steering. You could possibly make the drop brackets, but you will have to definitely buy the dropped pitman arm. I guess you could rig the shock mounts, and possibly round up some different springs.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 PM
cletus_the_red
Junior User
Ok i have had some new thoughts, and because im not going to be pounding this offroad a lot i figure why not just make some suspension blocks.
1. I was wondering if anyone had the dimensions of suspension blocks, it would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me!
2. I want to Turn a piece of steel round to extend the springs up.

here is my idea, i drew it on autocad.
im sure someone has done it before, i was just thinking of this when i was at work. i could make the part that goes into the spring longer if i needed too. Your help and feedback is appreciated!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 PM
1980FORD
Senior User
You would still have to drop the axle beams pivot points or you will never get the tires to align properly. I doubt it would even be drivable. You could fabricate a bracket like the one skyjacker and others use and probably get away with a spring block but I don't know how safe or legal it would be. Plus I think with a 4in lift you have to at least have lowering brackets for the radius arms. There isn't all that muck in the front lift kit that with the right material and being a good welder you wouldn't make, then all you would have to do is buy the springs. Whatever you do just try to keep it safe for the street.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Save yourself the trouble.

http://www.roughcountry.com/ford_4wd_80-96_fullsize_4.html

ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-96...em230220605917

Last edited by khadma; 02-13-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blue beast
http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering.html
Just don't do any of that and you should be alright, Hit next page there's a bunch
and if you see something you are planning maybe redesign it!! The thing about lifts
is that you limit yourself on some trails at least where I live it is treed in and if your
lifted you are not making it down the trail sure it looks good, but is it needed? Would
cutting fenders and maybe just a couple inches work.
OMFG!!!!

I just spent the last hour looking at site... that is some scary stuff!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
cletus_the_red
Junior User
I want to make them because i get the stuff at an outragous deal. But i think blocks under the springs are a bad idea now that i have thought more of it. i could just extend the brackets (i cant remember what they are called. connect the suspension to the frame.) to be 4 inches longer. my father did that to one of his and he said he didnt have a problem. (i know i have to do some modding to get the front end right. but its a project thing.)

Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
I am not trying to tell you off or make you mad, but I don't believe you can do it. I believe you do have the welding and fab skills, and access to some metal, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Trying to rig it using the same springs is just going to create problems. Look at the links several people have given you and how the kits do it. You could possibly copy and make the brackets, but I would break down and buy the taller springs. There is just no other way around it without rigging it. The spring brackets you mentioned moving are tied into the crossmember to make them strong. Moving them down would seriously compromise the strength of the truck.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:01 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-179 Don't go with blocks in the rear get the
add a leafs or new springs if you can afford it since blocks have a tendency to twist
the rear springs and add a lot of stress to the driveline!!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
hallsc1
New User
custom lift

Do something like this http://www.autofab.com/16front1.htm for the front beams then your spacers should work. The spacers will limit travel so using new spring would be better. For the rear the van springs may work. You will have to measure the width and lenght of the springs and distance from the front pivot of the spring to the axle. Even if the springs are the same length if the distance to the axle is not the same it will move the axle forward or backward. I have no idea how much lift the spring will give you if the demensions are right you'll have to try and find out. The springs will be much stiffer so also here new springs would be the better option.
good luck

Last edited by hallsc1; 02-14-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM
cletus_the_red
Junior User
I went to autozone and checked out some new coil springs. Would Coils from a f-350 or a econoline (i checked out the models with the 460.) fit on my f-150? I would buy extened springs if i would absolutely need too.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I have an F350, it has leaves front & rear, no coils in sight.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
cletus_the_red
Junior User
mmmm

I thought f-250+ had leafs myself. at the autozone website they say they have coils for them

Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4wd F-250's and F-350's had leaves while 2wd F-250's and F-350's had coil springs.

Quick Reply: Questions on making a suspension lift kit.