Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Brake Failure

Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 AM
BigBadPowerstrok
Freshman User
BigBadPowerstrok is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Emergency Brake Failure

I have a 2000 ford f250 4x4 7.3 6spd! I pull alot trailers and i always would use my emergency brake!! Well one great afternoon i was pulling and i left the emergency brake on!!! Now it doesnt work the pedal goes all the way down and it will not hold or stop the truck everywhere i go i cant leave my truck running because i got no emergency brake i got to turn off the truck and leave it in gear!! I have had emergency brakes adjusted and it worked for about 3 days and then it stopped working!!! Is there a special pad for the emergency brake system or what wears out??? Please get back to me with any info!!
Thankyou
Luke

Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.
Your rear brake rotor has a drum incorporated in it to use as an E-Brake. It is a drum and expanding shoe just like the old drum brakes were. It sounds like you destroyed your lining when you drove away with your E-Brake on.

You will have to remove your rear wheels and inspect your brake shoes inside the drum. Not the pads for the disc brakes. If you are handy you can replace them yourself. Otherwise you'll have to take it somewhere to have them done.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.
You should NEVER trust that puny E brake to hold a load when towing. You should use several wheel chocks. If you chock both front and rear on the same wheel, then when you forget to remove them, and trust me you will occasionally do that, they'll remind you real fast because you can't get started.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 AM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
There is a "star" adjuster just like on regular drum brakes for the e-brake. You most likely wore your shoes down and need to readjust the shoes. Use a brake spoon or short screwdriver to adjust the shoes out so that when you step on the e-brake pedal the shoes reach the drum. This should fix your problem. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.