1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

replaced clutch... now noise from tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
fredzeppelin
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replaced clutch... now noise from tranny?

so, my clutch fork broke. i decided to replace everything... new luk clutch kit, new kevlar pilot bushing, new clutch fork, new fork stud, new throwout bearing, new pre-bled hydraulics from dealer.

so truck drives fine for a while, then at a stop sign, i start to hear a little tranny growl which stops when i step on the clutch. after that, it does it again at home. but when i killed the motor, then started it again, it did not repeat the problem. its not really loud, but i can hear it in the cab if the window is down.

the only thing i can think of is the slave cylinder. the little ears got slightly rounded when i accidentally turned it past 1/4 turn and it released. when installed, i can rock it around slightly, but i figure it would hold. could it not be lined up properly?

oh by the way, the dial-a-clutch luk clutch kit was $467 with free shipping!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Give us a better description of transmission noise. If you think it's related to the slave cylinder try slowly releasing the clutch with your foot still on the brake and listen for a change in the noise.

Did you save your old master / slave assembly to try a swap? Is the noise only at idle or if you listen closely can you hear it while driving too? Any change in the noise with RPM change?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
That's what my tranny did when the OD bearing was giving up the ghost. Exact same symptoms to the letter.
Roll under the truck while it's making the noise and see if you can hear it coming from near the rear of the tranny. Not the transfer case, but about 2 inches in front of the rear flange where the transfer case bolts to.
It will be a scratchy rumbling noise.
A long screwdriver makes an EXCELLENT stethescope if you hold the handle against your ear and probe the tranny in different areas with the tip of the screwdriver.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
fredzeppelin
5th Wheeling
i forgot to mention a few things:

the noise is very slight. kinda sounds like when you idle out of first gear and get that growling noise... but much much MUCH quiter. and i have really really REALLY good hearing. and i might be paranoid since this is only the second clutch job i have done.

talked to my dad - he sold me the truck. he said that the truck has always made the noise and that it is normal.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
cjcathey2002
Elder User
hey fred

did you ever figure out this growling noise?