Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My latest idea for the van...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 PM
eco
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My latest idea for the van...

For those of you that don't know, the computer in these rigs is located DIRECTLY under the heater core which is located on the passenger's side under the dash. The heater core area is covered with some nasty black sticky stuff that runs around the edges to insulte the computer's area from the heater core's area. But as soon as you remove the cover from the heater core area and remove the heater core itself, the integrity of that nasty black insulation stuff is compromised - meaning that heat in the heater core area makes it's way into the computer area AND a coolant leak in the heater core will result in coolant getting into the computer area....NOT GOOD! I can't help but to not like the way the heater core and computer are situated. I just so happen to have an extension cord of sorts for the computer in my arsenal of Rotunda stuff that is made to ease the installation of a BOB (breakout box)/Monitor that gives me a few feet of length to play with. So, I got to thinking about this. I could easily relocate the computer, hook up a BOB and build some kind of shock proof enclosure. Since I have no passenger's seat in the van, finding a spot for the enclosure wont be hard. Doing this would allow me to get the computer away from the heater core, it would ease the removal/installation of the computer (something I will do every so often with the BOB's and the Monitor while tuning) and it will allow for a permanently installed BOB which I think would be cool. All I would have to do is pop off the top of the enclosure and bust out a meter and away I go. Removing and installing the computer is not only a royal pain in the ***, but doing so regularly will in time wear out the threads in the computer...not good.

So, anyone got any ideas as to how the computer and BOB enclosure ought to be designed? What should it be made out of? I am thinking 1/2 inch plastic, mounted to the body with a removable top, a hole for the cables to enter plus a few breather holes. But how am I going to fasten the computer and the BOB down to the enclosure to keep them from bouncing around? I might even be abl to kill a few birds wit 1 stone and install some of my MSD stuff in this same enclosure.

Time to play engineer...

Last edited by eco; 11-09-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good project I know of several failed computers because of core failure. Good luck on the fix. Can you get ecu encloser for anouther van Cut it out and mount the ecu like a stocker? Butit a remote box. Later

Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Mr. M
Elder User
Sounds like a lot of work for a minimal gain/preventative maintenance.

Seal your ECU and make sure the heater core is in good condidtion.

I bet some insulating foam for $5/bottle would get the job done.

If you run a NON electric controlled tranny (i.e. AOD) ... your ecu is barely worth $100.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 PM
tomtoc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mr. M
Sounds like a lot of work for a minimal gain/preventative maintenance.
i'm all about cool projects just for the learning experience, but this souds like a big pain

Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 PM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
Originally Posted by eco
But how am I going to fasten the computer and the BOB down to the enclosure to keep them from bouncing around?
Bubble Wrap?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM
eco
Posting Guru
I think you guys are missing the point......either that or I am some kind of wigged out nut case.

This project will do all of the following:

1) Allow for a breakout box to be hooked up ALL THE TIME and it will protected...so no shorted out pins.

2) Allow for EASY installation of a monitor.

3) Get the computer away from heat and coolant.

3) Give me a good place to mount my MSD stuff.

I already have extension cords that will allow for relocation, I have no passenger seat so I can use existing holes to mount the enclosure and I have a good source for plastic.

To me this sounds like a good idea.......but I would like some more ideas and opinions.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 PM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
go look around your local hardware store u will definatly come up with some ideas then.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
All the EEC computers are supposed to be on bracketry, which if your vehicle doesn't have you can easily find one in any junkyard. Doesn't necessarily have to be from your specific vehicle but at least adaptable to where your EEC hides.

Since the EEC is essentially a sealed box except for the rubbery j3 port cover on the back, you can enclose it in a waterproof container and not endure any thermal problems.

Even a large, thick-mill freezer bag would work. Tie the end of the bag over the wires on the connector!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
I know this is an older thread, but here should be your REAL next idea for the van, eco!

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Josh where'd you get a picture of Eco's van?!? I've been looking for months!!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
I have my sources...

Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Eco, that has to be the sweetest paint job ever!!!
What kind of candy do you have? My favorites reeses, followed by butterfinger. YOu wouldn't by chance be given any of those away would you?

Old 11-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
http://tyma88.deviantart.com/art/Van-68007335

Here's a pic for even further plans for the van.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 PM
tomtoc
Posting Guru
i've seen a pic of a newer dually econoline that looked pretty slick - searching now

EDIT: bingo
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...?albumid=30054

...and another
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...131881&width=0

Last edited by tomtoc; 11-30-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 787 Likes on 560 Posts
Now that don't look like it'd roll over too easy....

Josh you ought to be ashamed of yourself...

Sort of.