re-installed rocker but still no compression

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:16 PM
drtnshtr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re-installed rocker but still no compression

I recently replaced my old 4.6 with a newer 4.6 out of a cougar...after doing the swap the new motor ran like crap so after a compression test revealed 0 compression in the #6 cylinder...I removed the valve cover and the rocker arm had fallen off...I got it back on after alot of effort without the special valve spring tool...I turned the engine over a few times with the valve cover still off and the rocker arm fell off again...I took the rocker arm and lifter off of my old motor and put them on and the have stayed so far...this is without any plugs in the motor and all of the injectors still unhooked...I did a quick compression test immediately but still no compression...am i doing something wrong or do you guys think it is a much larger problem...maybe without the motor actually running the lifters arent building pressure? I put some oil in the cylinder and its still on 0 compression...

Old 11-09-2007, 12:42 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like what happened to my nieces 94 Cougar. The valve galled into the guide and is sticking open. Hers ran low on oil for about 1 minute when the oil sending unit broke and it runied the cam pedistal and stuck an intake valve. The mechanic at the ford dealer said it is not uncommon on older engines to get build-up on the valves which will cause them to hang open. Pump air into that cylinder. I'll bet you will hear it leaking into the intake. If not, the exhaust. Line the cam up so both followers are on the base of the lobe.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 AM
drtnshtr
Junior User
If thats the case do I just need to replace that valve?

Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 AM
LxMan1

You may be able to pull the head and the valve and clean it up if the guide isn't damaged.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 AM
drtnshtr
Junior User
correct me if Im wrong but I can do that with the motor in the truck?

Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 PM
drtnshtr
Junior User
ok i give...how do i get air into the cylinder?I thought there might be a way to do it through my compression tool but not sure...I turned the crank while watching the cam roll and it appears the valve is stuck open...

Old 11-10-2007, 04:11 PM
LxMan1

I took the shrader valve out of my compression tester hose and hooked my air hose up to where the gauge connects to the hose. Then screwed the hose into the plug hole.