1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Hi Beam not working (next steps)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 AM
adamg101
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Beam not working (next steps)

My 2000 EB had all the symptoms of the multi-function switch gone bad. Headlights work fine, but no Hi Beams. Driving with headlights on, the hi beam indicator on the dash would come on periodically, but headlights would still work. Hit the stalk & the indicator would turn off. So I assumed the switch was done. Last night, I replaced the multi-function switch & the Hi Beams still don't work. Everything seems to work right, regular beams & fog lights turnoff, just no hi beams. All fuses under the dash checkout ok. Is there a relay and/or larger fuse in the PDB under the hood?? I've checked the owners manual, but there doesn't appear to be a relay or fuse for hi beams? Also, checked the bulbs & they appear to be good... help...

Thanks,
Adam

Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
04markIII
Elder User
anyone near you have similar model so you can swap the headlight switch itself, and test that?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Have you checked for voltage at the headlight connector? Also check your bulbs. It could be a bad bulb shorting the low beam to the high beam intermittently which would cause the indicator to go on. I would disconnect both headlights, turn them on and make sure that you are getting voltage at the connector. On a 9007 bulb looking at the vehicle connector with the flat side on the bottom the pins are arranged as follows:
High Ground Low

Make sure that is all correct and then put in 2 known good bulbs and check and see if everything works. If that doesn't fix it them you need to go further in the circuit. I'll see if I can get you a copy of the headlight circuit for that truck.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 PM
ericnj75
Freshman User
try changing the light bulbs hi beams could be blown

Old 11-07-2007, 05:11 PM
dmorgan
Senior User
looked up a schematic for a 01 expedition headlights. shows a fuse 16 which is a 20amp fuse in the central junctin box for the high beams it is beteen the multi function switch and the headlights on the schematic and the high beam indicator is also after the fuse 16

Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 PM
adamg101
New User
Turns out the bulbs were HID & both filaments were on in low beam position. Bought a pair of Sylvania Ultra's & brights are working again. I didn't know about the HID's cuz I bought the truck back in March. Thanks for the tips!!

This raises another question about the HID lamps I replaced. Do some operate with two filaments or did the set I have go bad & short low & high together?