Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Front timing cover seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,681 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Front timing cover seal

Just a heads up on doing this. I ordered the seal, which comes with a speedi-sleeve to repair the seal surface on the damper from Advance Auto for my 7.3. Pulled everything apart, and sure enough there was a groove on the damper where the seal rides. I go to put the sleeve on, and no way is it going to drive on there. It's a lot thicker than the normal sleeve I am used to. So I have to gather it up and take it to work and put the damper in the lathe and cut it down about .120. The ID of the sleeve measure .125 smaller than the OD of the damper seal surface, so I left about .005 on the damper and drove it on with a soft mallet.

Just wanted to let you know if you are planning this job, and don't have access to a lathe, plan on taking it down to a machine shop to get the job completed.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy the seal at Ford then you would get the right one............

Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Just a heads up on doing this. I ordered the seal, which comes with a speedi-sleeve to repair the seal surface on the damper from Advance Auto for my 7.3. Pulled everything apart, and sure enough there was a groove on the damper where the seal rides. I go to put the sleeve on, and no way is it going to drive on there. It's a lot thicker than the normal sleeve I am used to. So I have to gather it up and take it to work and put the damper in the lathe and cut it down about .120. The ID of the sleeve measure .125 smaller than the OD of the damper seal surface, so I left about .005 on the damper and drove it on with a soft mallet.

Just wanted to let you know if you are planning this job, and don't have access to a lathe, plan on taking it down to a machine shop to get the job completed.
Sounds to me like they got the wrong speedi sleeve listed in their catalogue or the speedi sleeve they sent you was the wrong wrong one. Not sure if taking 0.120" of the diameter of the pulley would matter much to the strength of the pulley, probably not.

Seb....

Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,681 Likes on 1,358 Posts
The seal was correct. The sleeve was the correct OD for the ID of the seal. Was it the correct sleeve? I don't know. It was a Federal-Mogul seal kit with the sleeve and the seal all in one box.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have seen more than one part in the wrong box.

I just went through a nightmare trying to get a heater for my 86.
I probably had to open 5 boxes to find one with the right heater core in it.

Parts book picture was right, number was right, core was wrong and did not look like the picture.
Yes the core did look like another one of the heater cores Ford used in 86, but the number should have been different.