serpentine belt trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 10:06 AM
meck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serpentine belt trouble

I'm driving along just fine ('87 F250, 300) when suddenly all hell breaks loose under the hood. I shut down quick as I can and find under the hood a mess of serpentine belt. About one-third of the width of the belt has disconnected from the two-thirds. The one-third has wrapped around every which way and is making the racket. The two-thirds is still in place and functioning just fine. The separation between the two parts is so clean it almost looks like someone has held a lathe tool or razor blade knife against the smooth side and sliced it longways.

I check everything that I can, replace the belt, and everything is fine for 5000 miles. Yesterday, the same thing happened again. I put a straight edge on the pulleys, and they seem to be lined up. The belt does ride much closer to the rear of the idler puller than the front, but I can't see that being the problem.

Does anybody have a clue what the trouble is here?

Thanks,

Meck

Old 08-22-2002, 10:11 AM
whittey
Senior User
serpentine belt trouble

Check your pullies for burrs. After 5000mi i'm sure a burr could end up preforating it to the point that it strips off.

-=Whittey=-

Old 08-25-2002, 10:21 AM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
serpentine belt trouble

replace anything lately? i had the same problem about 6K after i replaced my alternator. i had to take it out and de-burr the pulley with some fine sandpaper. seemed to do the trick.

Mike

Old 08-25-2002, 07:47 PM
meck
Freshman User
serpentine belt trouble

I checked all the pulleys and didn't feel or see anything rough on them, but I'll take another look at the AC compressor pulley. I did replace it a little while before the belt shredded the first time. Thanks for the tip--

Meck

Old 08-25-2002, 09:12 PM
krooser
Elder User
serpentine belt trouble

Check the belt tensioner....make sure the alternator and air pump, if so equipped, turn freely. Years ago I ran across a Chevy Blazer whos alterantor locked up and stopped the engine! It acted like the crank was froze but after the alt belt was removed it started and ran! Strange things happen.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:32 PM
buckaroo
New User
serpentine belt trouble