Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Freakin Drain Valve!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 AM
greagin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freakin Drain Valve!!!!!

okay, wifeys X had a leaky o-ring in the fuel bowl drain valve, or so i thought. i ordered the o-rings from mcmaster -carr took drain valve apart and replaced. after a few days, leak was back, ableit not as bad. i said, huh....maybe its the drain valve assy. itself so i ordered a new one. installed new one, whshed out motor. several days later leak is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! albeit not as bad. WTF??? now the X is having a new tranny installed and while i'm waiting on the new one to arrive i started to ponder the mysterious leak again. anyone got any ideas? i am positive its coming from the fuel drain valve also.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:05 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I can think of is that the surface on the fuel separator isn't clean and the o-rings aren't able to seat themselves properly.

Keep us posted on anything you find.

Austin

Old 11-01-2007, 06:11 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could have over tighten the valve and cracked the valve as well..might want to take it out and look at it..if that is what you did..i just see a new valve on e-bay for 21 bucks..

Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
you could have over tighten the valve and cracked the valve as well..might want to take it out and look at it..if that is what you did..i just see a new valve on e-bay for 21 bucks..
That's what I was thinking. There has to be a crack somewhere. Don't overlook the housing itself.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 AM
greagin
Elder User
UGGGH!!! The housing itelf? How much would that cost to replace? i shudder to think! i will go back in perhaps this weekend and take apart AGAIN and clean surfaces with emory cloth as that was not done before. i will also check the housing itself and see what happens. Thanks!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by greagin
UGGGH!!! The housing itelf? How much would that cost to replace? i shudder to think! i will go back in perhaps this weekend and take apart AGAIN and clean surfaces with emory cloth as that was not done before. i will also check the housing itself and see what happens. Thanks!!!
It might be cheaper to find a spin on filter flange that you can mount somewhere, then just run plumbing from it to the cylinder heads. There is no law that states you have to have the filter on top of the engine. You could just as easily have a remote filter underneath the truck that you change as easily as an oil filter.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 AM
f350peter
Junior User
Double check the fuel filter housing cover. I had a similar leak a month or so ago, thought it was the drain valve, but it turned out to be the O-ring/rubber gasket on the cover was not seated properly.