Do Optima batteries present an advantage over conventional?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
sum_weirdo
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Optima batteries present an advantage over conventional?

With winter coming and temperatures likely to get to -40C around here I'm giving thought to upgrading my truck's battery, especially since I don't even know how old it is. My Thunderbird's been running a Motomaster Eliminator battery with 875 CCA for several years and I'm quite pleased with it's starting ability. But since it and a comparable Optima battery are about the same price I thought I'd investigate the hype a little. Will the Optima provide better cranking for my 460?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:56 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had an Optima red top for going on 4 years. I have had no problems with it, nor have those I know who also have the battery. My truck sits for long periods without being started, and it has never had a problem with this. I like it because it does not corrode the terminals. Other benefits are that it can be mounted upside down if you so desire, it is supposed to have a longer life, no proof of that on my part at this time.

As for better cranking, any battery that has the same amperage rating will crank the same, it doesn't matter the mfgr. jd

Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,376 Posts
From what I have read, the biggest difference is how it's constructed inside. This gives it different mounting possibilities like the other poster mentioned, and make it able to take more physical abuse and vibration. Do some more research on the amp capability, but there might not be much difference in that area.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
sum_weirdo
Tuned
Yeah being able to mount the battery in funky positions doesn't interest me much. Think I'm leaning towards another Eliminator, it's cheaper, has higher CCA, and a nice warranty.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:15 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
They are good if you do will do anything extreme with it: amped up sound system, lights, winches or need to mount it in a crazy position, but for regular starting and driving I would find the battery with the most CCAs and the longest free replacement warrenty and save a little money in the process. Personally, even if I did do all that stuff with a battery with the exception of mounting it upside down I would still use just a regular battery. As far as corrosion goes, that can be taken care of in other cheaper ways. The only battery I have ever had to clean corrosion off of was the Motorcraft battery that came in my truck, and I wont gripe too much on that as it lasted 8 years.

Last edited by bigdaddyII; 10-26-2007 at 09:19 PM.