'92 Automatic Tranny Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 04:42 AM
Thompy_04
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '92 Automatic Tranny Fluid Question

Now....... I can't remember the model of this beast, and I honestly haven't heard much on them..... But I do need to know the best way to get the old fluid out. I've been told you have to take down the entire pan full of the ATF, BUT theres a little rubber type deal on the bottom. Is that a plug? Answers are needed quickly this baby needs it bad. Thanx... Thompy_04

Old 12-31-2002, 11:45 AM
gatesj
Posting Guru

I changed the fluid in my E4OD recently, in my '91 F150. I had just bought the truck and wanted to be sure I changed as much of the fluid as possible because I didn't know the history.

You'll need about 18 quarts of ATF if you're going to drain the converter. Mine used Mercon (not Mercon V).

I pulled the pan (Metric bolts, 10mm, I think).

Clean around the pan edges. Pull the bolts on the sides first, then loosen the fronts, then remove the rears. Oil will mostly run out the rear. Pull the pan the rest of the way off and clean it surgically clean, especially on the inside. Pull the doughnut shaped magnet out and clean it really well. I've found air gets whatever shavings off of it fairly easily. Pull the filter out and slip the new one in. Put the pan back on with the new gasket and torque the nuts evenly and diagonally. I think it's 14 ft/lbs, but I'm not 100% sure.

Then I drained the torque converter. I think the rubber plug you're referrring to is at the bottom of the bellhousing. Pull it and rotate the crank by turning the vibration damper bolt at the front of the engine (I think it's a 1" socket) until a small bolt comes into view. Unscrew the bolt and the converter will drain. It will take a while; there's a lot of fluid in there and the hole is small. Replace the bolt and the plug.

Put a few quarts of fluid in then start the truck for about 15 seconds. Put a few more in and start it again. After about 12 or so, I would say start checking the level carefully and don't overfill. I overfilled and had to pull the rubber plug and bolt from the bottom of the TC to drain a little.

This made a huge difference in my transmission shifting properly (not sluggish).

Old 12-31-2002, 07:54 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Add a drain plug kit to the pan when you have it down - Motormite HELP! part number 65128. It'll make draining excess easy, and next time the whole process will be cleaner & quicker.

I wouldn't start the engine with the TC partially-filled. The vanes slapping the fluid could bend or break them. Fill slowly until it starts to back up the dipstick tube before cranking. If you have too much, drain or siphon some then.

Old 01-01-2003, 09:25 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked my shop manual, looks like the pan must come off. They recommmend emptying the old fluid while the tranny is hot. I think My dealer charged me 100 bucks last year. That ain't bad, I stayed clean.

Old 01-02-2003, 12:50 AM
3006ROCKS
Freshman User

GateSJ:
Your shifting performance really increased?
Hmm... Maybe I'll have to try that, mine shifts kind of sluggish..
How much did all that fluid cost?

Anyone have an idea?

Would I notice anything performance wise if I changed the fluid?

Old 01-02-2003, 09:51 AM
heathdaily
Senior User