General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

My Head Is In The clouds!! Literally!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Challenges are not what we think they are
Advantages happen and come to us
What we never thought we could ever do
Become what we do every day

And what we thought of ourselves changes
Because tomorrow
We are not who we were the day before
And it becomes us...

We are what we are doing
And have done.
And yet also
Who we were

Funny about that

Last edited by Greywolf; 10-12-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
I don't know for sure where the ones your working on are actually made but I have been following a lot of the blades across southern Iowa lately on my daily run. I also hear they are talking about building another production facitlity in Iowa soon. Knowing you were going into this I often wonder as I am passing those blades if they are going out to where your at.
We took delivery on the last three blades today, so everything you see going down the road is going somewhere else. All the parts that we need are on the ground. Now, to assemble and erect them!! God I love my job!!

Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
You could always be a part of the cleaning crew!!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:21 AM
King Triton
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,I have a couple of questions for you bunny,,,,First,How am I supposed to whisper in your ear if your head is up in the clouds? Ok seriously,What is the base of these turbines?I mean the size of it,I know it is concrete,Im just curious how deeply it goes in the ground,and what keeps the base from loosening from the constant movement from the wind?

Hmmm,I think I need one of those lawn chairs with a zillion balloons tied to it!Of course with my luck,I would probably get pushed into the prop by the wind.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
The ground is compacted first, then the foundation is poured. It is 53 feet across and over 9 feet high at the center. It has 26 tons of re-bar intertwined throughout the 340 cubic yards of concrete. The 120 connection bolts for the base are 13 feet long. Then they cover the foundation with dirt to make it pretty!! This is all you see when they are done.

Last edited by Snowbunny; 10-14-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
WOW! And double WOW WOW!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am kinda suprised only 9ft at the center, most larger signs I have seen for stores and gas stations etc have a conrete section 6-8ft deep

Old 10-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
They build a 2-3 foot riser in the very center for the connection bolts, but the main part is just over 9 feet high. I guess it's the 53 feet across that creates the stability.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
This is really cool stuff Snowbunny - where did you go to school for this and what was the course of study?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
I go to a small community college in The Dalles, Oregon. They have the only Renewable Energy Technician (RET) program on the west coast, and it is geared specifically for wind energy. We even have our own turbine to work on. There is one other school in New Mexico or Arizona that offers something similar, but they concentrate mainly on theory. We had over 300 applicants for the program and they only had room to let in 34.

But, becasue the demand is so high for technicians, and getting higher, more schools should be offering the program soon, I would think. I know that there are a few schools in the mid-west and east coat that offer the program.

We are pretty fortunate because we live so close to the wind farms and can get OJT. In class we study electricity, hydraulics, gear boxes, physics, computer programming, pre calc, trig, electrical motor controls, programmable controlers, blah, blah, blah,,, the list goes on.

The beauty of the industry is that you do not have to go to school to get the jobs. If you already have a background in electronics, can read a set of schematics, then they (the big companies) will send you to paid specilaized training for a few weeks and voila' you have a job. Most of the trainings that GE sends you to are in Texas or New York. So, you make 20 something an hour instead of 30 something an hour becuase you don't have the certificate,,,

If you have cahonies enough to climb the things and can work up there, they are more than willing to train people within the company. I like working with my hands, I like working outside and it's one heck of a workout!!

Last edited by Snowbunny; 10-14-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Yeah, I was wondering how those people got up on top of there in the first place - the ones rapelling down it to clean the mast.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It involves a trampoline and the doublemint twins...

Old 10-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Are those mints?

Rats, I was hoping they were muffins....
(He states, innocently)

Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Yeah, I was wondering how those people got up on top of there in the first place - the ones rapelling down it to clean the mast.
They get up there like everybody else, they climb a ladder!! You can kinda see it here,,, you climb with the tower wall to your back. It's pretty cool because when you get tired, you can wedge yourself between the ladder and the wall and rest. The black dots you see at the end of the the ladder brackets, are magnets. Yes, I said magnets!! The ladder, the platforms and anything else they put in there are connected to the tower walls with magnets!! Don't want to compromise the integrity of the steel by drilling or welding!!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With all the pictures, this thread is getting funner all the time. Keep 'em coming' ms bunny. I haven't been this interested in something for a long time.

Quick Reply: My Head Is In The clouds!! Literally!!!!