Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

5.0 stang pulleys on a 5.4 S/C '02 harley truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 PM
ohtwoharley21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 stang pulleys on a 5.4 S/C '02 harley truck?

will the pulleys off of a 5.0 saleen stang(aftermarket pulleys) fit onto my 5.4 supercharged harley truck? my girlfriends dad bought a new set of pulleys for his foxbody but they underdrove his water pump and he would over heat. im wondering if i could put them on my truck without problems. and if i would be able to i would proabaly get a new S/C pulley too, most likely metco or something. so please post with info. thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No. Best bet is to get a larger lower blower pulley for the supercharger. A Lightning 4lb or 6lb pulley will suit your needs, most likely. The 4lb will give about 2 lbs on the HD, the six will give about 4 lbs.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Not to pick nits, but in the spirit of specificity, your HD truck already has a larger supercharger pulley, when compared to the pulley on the Lightning. So when Ken stated you should get a "larger blower pulley for the supercharger", I just want to make sure you knew he meant a larger crank pulley, not the one on the snout of your S/C.

Increasing the size of the lower crank pulley will up the boost your Eaton produces. Decreasing the size of the blower pulley (on the snout of the s/c) will also increase your boost, but it induces more belt slip, so that's why most of us opt for the lower crank pulley when upping boost.

Stewart

Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When you pick nits make sure you read all the nits so you don't end up looking like..... well, like you didn't read what I said!

Note I had stated:
larger lower blower pulley

You'll note that I stated a 4lb and 6lb pulley. There's no such thing as pulleys for those increases on the upper on a Lightning (a smaller Lightning upper typically gains about 2.5 - 3lbs by itself, more on a HD).

I used to sell them and still have new pulleys for the Lightning and Harley-Davidson F-150 in boxes on my shelf!

I don't recommend swapping upper pulleys. They are pressed on and you risk damaging the blower, especially considering how easy a lower pulley swap is. Unless you're going extreme, swapping the lower should be enough.

For reference, the Lightning has a 3 inch upper pulley and the HD's upper pulley is just a bit under 3.25 inches.

Lastly, if you increase boost on your truck I strongly recommend you take it to a competant tuner for custom tuning.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
When you pick nits make sure you read all the nits so you don't end up looking like..... well, like you didn't read what I said!

Note I had stated:
larger lower blower pulley
I did, bro! And anyone familiar with HD's, L's or even the S/C'd Roush would know immediately what you were talking about. I just thought since the threads author was pretty new to the scene (based on his question, his post count, and his date of registering, to which I could still be wrong about), I didn't want him to become confused and start looking for a 4lb upper s/c pulley!

Just in case the author didn't have all of your words completely register in his brain, I thought I'd take it a step further to help him realize and differentiate between the crank pulley and the s/c pulley.

Heck, I'm far from a newb at this and I still brain fart on things, thinking I read one thing when it was really something different!

make sure you read all the nits so you don't end up looking like.....
I thought that was only for the word "assume"!!

Stewart

PS - I just noticed this. More proof I brain-fart all the time. In my first post when I "quoted" your words "larger blower pulley for the supercharger", I knew you meant crank pulley because you used the word "lower", but I forgot to add it!

That's probably why you thought I misunderstood you, eh?

Usually I cut and paste whenever I quote someone, to keep myself from erring, but alas, this time I didn't...and I erred!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 10-02-2007 at 09:51 PM.