Bed mounted ball.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Bulldog66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed mounted ball.

Posting here because it appears to be the place for my question.

I've recently purchased an 05' 350 PSD - 8' bed. The PO has installed a bed mounted 5th wheel ball. However, he took the ball out before I purchased the truck and now there's a gaping hole where it once lived.

I don't see any use for it in the near future, however that may change. I may need it down the line and don't want to delete it, so to speak.

My question is - I'd like to find a cap, delete plate or something simular to fill the hole where it once lived until the time comes that I want to use it. The hole kind of hinders the load factor in the truck as in if I load any thing that has any type of legs or anything that could hang in the whole, it then requires me to get in the bed to retrieve whatever it is I have in there.

I've searched on the net for such an animal to no avail. I'm close to building something just to fill the void and use bed liner spray/roll on material to coat it.

The reciever end of this ball mount appears to be a special application. It's not threaded or the type that flips over to allow a flat surface while not in operation. It has 2 slots opposite of each other as if the ball gets inserted and then twisted with pins on each side - that fall into place.

A better analogy is - a tail light lamp. It has the 2 dogs on each side of the lamp that are a little off set so when you push down on the assembly, you have to twist it into place.

Thats what this reciever looks like.

Is there an after market blank, cap, filler or some type of product that I could fill that void with. Also, where can I find such a ball mount that will work once I do find use for the 5th wheel version of trailer.

Much thanks for any help. I intend on snapping a few pics tomorrow during daylight hours and posting it. Perhaps you kind folks may know what I am talking about and can point me in the right direction.

Finally,

A friend of mine said that perhaps the ball sits in the mount and a seperate "pin" gets inserted through the mount and ball securing it that way. If that's the case, I can't find such an animal in my searches.

Cheers.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do u mean a drop down gooseneck ball?

Old 09-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Bulldog66
Senior User
It's not a flip type, if that's what you're asking.

It has slotted sides simular to a 1157 tail lamp would slide into a tail light assembyly. Would have to push the lamp and twist the dogs into place. The mount where the ball sits has those slots.

I did see something on the net that had a 5th wheel hitch assembly that locked into place simular to what I have. I can't confirm it is the same assy. because I've never had my hands on one.

Never the less, the local tractor supply here has never seen it and I would just suspect they're going to be my best source localy. We're a small farming/rural town and if it's towed, Tractor supply usualy has it.

I'll get some pics as soon as I can snag the camera from my daughter long enough.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Bulldog66
Senior User
Solved!

After some digging on the net, I found the type of mount I have. Now for the slightly funny part...

I washed the truck today. Was putting the leather conditioner on the seats - moved to the back seat and that all too familiar light bulb went off. I said, self, I bet the PO prolly hid that ball behind the back seat in the tray. Tada! there it lives.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Why didn't you look there before?! Well, I didn't, for whatever reasons, I just didn't. Never the less, it's no longer driving me and my friends crazy trying to figure out what type of mount it is.

Here is a link - http://www.aemfg.com/Hitches/diamondhitch.htm

Cheers.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad you found it! the old behind the seat trick!lol thats a frame mount setup under the bed i guess

Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 AM
RogueSpear2023
Elder User
wow, 30,000/7,500, mine is only 25,000/5,000, even though I will never come close to hauling that kind of weight, but I guess never say never.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:57 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My B&W is rated for 30k/7.5k too... its pretty standard Of course, my half ton would go squish if I put 15 tons on it... It'd be funny!