Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel system?

Ok I have an after market water fuel sep. on my 83, and cant seem to find the filter I need. I was going to try to re connect the old seperator but when I took the hoses that were just connected together off the connector I started the truck to see if I had any suction etc. There is absolutely no suction whatsoever, but when the fuel filter is off it poors out fuel. Also, it seems that there is a fuel pump on the frame rail near the front tank, if thats what it is it doesnt work, I have no fuel coming from the tank when the lines disconnected so I dont know. I hope this doesnt confuse anyone its just really hard to explain. The truck does not run, it starts and just starts shaking and blowing out all this white smoke. Trying to fix all the cheap stuff before I go to getting a New IP etc.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
wh336fire
Senior User
I just installed Donaldson water seperator/fuel filters on both my trucks . Fairly easy job with a torch , welder and bracket making material . On mine I replaced a Wix setup I installed 5 years ago . On my wife's truck I put it in place of the original fuel filter .

On your problem , I would not hook the original water separater up . I would find another filter/separater and change it over . The Donaldon was an easy swap .

Tell us what symptoms first appeared and go from there . Then maybe we can sort through the trouble shooting one step at a time .

Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bassproguy07
Ok I have an after market water fuel sep. on my 83, and cant seem to find the filter I need. I was going to try to re connect the old seperator but when I took the hoses that were just connected together off the connector I started the truck to see if I had any suction etc. There is absolutely no suction whatsoever, but when the fuel filter is off it poors out fuel. Also, it seems that there is a fuel pump on the frame rail near the front tank, if thats what it is it doesnt work, I have no fuel coming from the tank when the lines disconnected so I dont know. I hope this doesnt confuse anyone its just really hard to explain. The truck does not run, it starts and just starts shaking and blowing out all this white smoke. Trying to fix all the cheap stuff before I go to getting a New IP etc.
Finding a filter shouldn't be hard. Doesn't the old filter have a number on it?
If it doesn't that isn't a big deal. If you have a NAPA or a parts store that has a filter catalog then you are good to go. You need to know the size of the spud, the threaded stud the filter screws to. The easist way is to take a wrench and figure out the diameter. There isn't that many. 7/8 and 3/4 are very common. Measure the area that the seal mates to. From there get in the book and take that info and you will find one. Napa's catalog will give all the info about a filter, Micron ect.

That pump may be the fuel take selector valve.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:07 AM
somedude
Junior User
HI all
do i have this right the engine starts and stays running but runs realy crappy with white smoke?? if so you possibly have a bad injector. start engine and while it's running crack injector lines one by one each time you crack one the engine should run even crappyer if it doesent that is the injector that is bad

Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
bassproguy07
Elder User
yes somedude, you are correct, but I've already done that. I've changed return lines, injector O rings, etc and still have this problem. Napa doesn't carry the right filter, Neither does oreilly or autozone. I can get it online but it is 30 bucks and Id rather not spend that much money just yet until I find what is really wrong. I've got a stock filter with not seperator on it right now which is fine. I am going to try and take a Video of the truck Idling etc later on today and post it on You Tube. I'll send the link once I get this done.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:49 AM
wh336fire
Senior User
One bad injector usually will not cause the truck not to run . It will run rough and smoke , but still be drivable . There is one exception though . If you have an injector that stays open and allows compression to get to the ip , it will cause the truck to shut down . Normally it will start back up after the pressure in the ip goes back down .

You are saying that your truck will idle , but not run well enough to drive . What does it do when you try to give it more fuel ?

I just installed a set of injectors on one of our trucks because it was running rough and producing lots of blueish white smoke and smelled like raw diesel . I thought for sure there was a bad injector , but it was still drivable. I was wrong , it was the ip . I installed one of my spare ip's on it and it ran fine .

Old 09-21-2007, 01:01 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
it just doesnt rev up to High RPM's it'll rev up, then shake and knock at full throttle then as soon as i let of the throttle it will die. it is so hard to explain though, i will have to video it so you can get an idea. I'll go look for the camera now and see what I can do. I am so bogged down with homework so I might not have time but I will try.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM
wh336fire
Senior User
I do have an ip that is doing about the same thing . It doesn't rev all the way up . It blows a lot of blue smoke and runs rough at full throttle and at idle it runs ok but still smokes . The truck was not doing this with the other ip , it just wouldn't start when hot . So i'll be putting another one on soon . ( I keep a supply of used ones , sometimes I find a bad apple...lol )

Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Ok I got a video on Youtube, just search for 1983 Ford F250 my username is the same as on here

Old 09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
wh336fire
Senior User
I can't watch the video today , but i'll try to see it in the morning on my computer at home .

I feel like you have a bad ip .

Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
I'm thinking so too....hoping it isnt a bad IP

Old 09-21-2007, 06:37 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
you have to search for my username on youtube, bassproguy07 for some reason it wont show up when searching the tags I put