removal of POR 15

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:31 PM
projectdagger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removal of POR 15

How can i remove it? I painted the bed floor of my 79 f-250 last year and it is rusting again. My wire brush seems to be more of polishing it than actually removing it. What do you recomend to be best and quickiest way for removing it? thinking about finding someone who sandblasts, but not sure of the costs

Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 PM
OVER_KILL
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's actually called POR 15.

Go to their website and do a search of their products.
They have a product that removes POR 15 I believe.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 AM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have a good 5HP compressor, you could do your own sandblasting. There are good priced pressure sandblasters for around 100 bucks. Another trick is to put aircraft stripper on the metal before sandblasting. The stripper loosens the paint up so the blasting time is spent on removing the rust and not the paint.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:54 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Found the stripping wheels, or disc, can remove paint, including Por 15, and rust in quick order but disc don't last that long and can be expensive. After trying combination of different type attachment methods and disc, prefer the backing plates with velcro and corrisponding strip disc. The backing plate screws onto 4 1/2" angle grinder, believe there is also a 7" setup. 5 strip disc run about $12.

Purchased a 7" strip wheel that mounts to my old sander/grinder and wow is it aggressive, may be better suited for larger area and last longer. Anyhow, another option to consider.

Sandblasted the cab and it turned out to be a big pain in the backside, no matter how much I pressure wash, etc., during priming process found little pockets of media that would get into the paint.

dave

Last edited by daveengelson; 09-22-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:27 PM
projectdagger
Elder User
Thanks for your advice. i ended up using a wire wheel on my grinder. On the bed floor there was several dark spot in the paint of rust. first i though okay no big deal. Then i got to wire brushing. The rust ate through the metal from the underside nearest the support pieces that run the width of the floor. i welded most of the holes closed, next year, i will save for a new floor

Richard

Old 09-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Carny
Senior User
So did the POR 15 not work, or did the rust come through the bottom which was unpainted?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:20 PM
projectdagger
Elder User
The rust came up from underneath the bed. around the gas tank and rear crossmember to be exact. i thought it was a pretty clean truck when i bought it last year. that was until i dropped the gas tank was caught by surprise.