Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My Cousins truck ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Cousins truck ???

My cousin just bought a 2000 F-350 4x4 exteded cab utility body, dually. It has 140,000 miles on the clock.

I have never seen oil that black. In my life, ever. I immidiately sent him to Wally world to get oil and filter. He's running Rotella syn now. (he noticed an improvement after we did that....imagine that )

The other thing I'ver never seen before is the filter minder sucked in. I've looked at alot of diesels and never saw a filter that dirty. Had him buy a new one of those as well.

Lastly, the fuel filter was a mess. To say the least. I've never seen that many large particles in a filter before. I sound dirt on both sides of the filter media. Not a good thing. Come to find out, the fuel fill hose had a hole in it right behind the rear tire. I cant wait to find out how much crap is in the tank.

Ok here is the question. How much damage do you think the injectors have suffered? How can I tell?

In addition, I had him weight the truck at a CAT scale and it came in at 10,720. What kind of mileage should he be getting with 4.10 gears?

Right now it's about 10 mpg.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 804 Likes on 614 Posts
Originally Posted by jetdoc
My cousin just bought a 2000 F-350 4x4 exteded cab utility body, dually. It has 140,000 miles on the clock.

I have never seen oil that black. In my life, ever. I immidiately sent him to Wally world to get oil and filter. He's running Rotella syn now. (he noticed an improvement after we did that....imagine that )

The other thing I'ver never seen before is the filter minder sucked in. I've looked at alot of diesels and never saw a filter that dirty. Had him buy a new one of those as well.

Lastly, the fuel filter was a mess. To say the least. I've never seen that many large particles in a filter before. I sound dirt on both sides of the filter media. Not a good thing. Come to find out, the fuel fill hose had a hole in it right behind the rear tire. I cant wait to find out how much crap is in the tank.

Ok here is the question. How much damage do you think the injectors have suffered? How can I tell?

In addition, I had him weight the truck at a CAT scale and it came in at 10,720. What kind of mileage should he be getting with 4.10 gears?

Right now it's about 10 mpg.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you rescued that truck from certain death.
If it's running fine right now, then the injectors survived.
Mileage should be better than that, I get 9 pulling the trailer and 14 empty with 4.88's.
Boost leaks, exhaust leaks, fuel leaks are the most common causes of poor economy. I gained better than 2 mpg just by fixing my leaking exhaust donuts and was very surprised at that developement.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:04 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK Thanks for that Kwik....I'll start there.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:50 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If there's been that much debris through the fuel pump, I'd check the fuel pressure as well, he may need a new fuel pump. There's also a screen in the tank end of the fuel pump, better pull the pump when you clean the tank and blow out the lines between the tank and pump.