1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 AM
jake47
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't turn over

I just got finshed changing the head gaskets on my 2.9, I reinstalled the battery and i went to turn the key and all it does is click...do you think mr. valve dropped into mr. piston when i put the heads back on? or is that the sound a bad starter makes? or solenoid? or loose battery cables?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:04 AM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
Yes to all of the above!!!!

So back up & begin with a load check of the battery & it's connections. Try turning the headlights on & see if they are bright or dim.

If dim, do a voltage check accross the battery posts, WITH the lights on.

If the battery voltage measured directly ON the posts, not the cable clamps, is ok, then suspect the cables, or their connections, which need to be clean, bright & tight!!!!

When you get the lights bright & if it still won't crank, try turning the crankshaft with a wrench, if it moves, then look to the starter solenoid, electrical connections to the starter motor, or the starter motor itself.

If the crankshaft won't move with the wrench, then maybe something dropped into one of the cylinders, like a nut, washer, or valve. So pull the valve covers & have a peek, maybe if it's a dropped valve you'll be able to detect on which head & save having to remove both.

Let us know what you find.