6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Ford Chevy and Dodge MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeone
Don't baby it too much or you'll produce a weak motor. All engines and diesels especially need to have a good load put on them to seat the rings properly.
Huh? The dealer said not to drive over 75 mph, do not drive it hard for the first 500 miles.
The book says no loads for the first 500.
You're saying do the oposite?

I'm just doing a standard break in.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would agree, for the first 500 miles. After that start giving it a good workout. I have owned alot of vehicles and trucks and it seems that the ones that were broken in soft, were always soft and tended to have more problems later on. Just my .02.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Personal preference. I always just brought a new motor though the rpms trying not to keep it steady for the 1'st few hundred, then put it through the paces after that. When I use to race 2 stroke snowmobiles in the mid 70's had a Free air Snojet with a Yam. motor. Once I changed rings after a 1st heat because my compression was down a little. Next heat it ran pretty good. by the time I got to the final the rings were seated and won the race. Yamaha said to run the motor at 7800rpms tops. I use to run it at 9,000 rpms. I did have to change rings about every few weeks. Could change rings in about 45 minutes. Those were the days, have a stack of used rings and pistons in my toolbox now.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
Most motorcycles say not to take the engine past a certain rpm the first few hours, then not past a certain rpm the next so many miles, and so on. So they like to see rpms limited the first few hours of use.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
NORTHLAND06
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jasfaa
Northland, the 450 definitely gets bad mileage but you are in flat country (IOWA). Throw some mountain passes and a few other things along with the weight and you could be getting as low as 5 mpg real quick. The worst part is with all of the engineering the mileage keeps dropping from Ford. First the 7.3, great motor. Then the 6.0, gets more power with a few modifications including better headbolts for the headgasket problem. Now we have a 6.4 liter motor that dropped the mileage even more and has less power and worse fuel mileage than a tuned 6.0. I also did not buy this thing for fuel mileage but it is dissappointing that the mileage keeps decreasing with each new vehicle while the other manufacturers seem to at least sustain their mileage.

I had heard that the 450 was de-tuned compared to the 350. Do you have any opinion on that?
I don't think so my pulls fine and went back to dealer they let me drive 4.88 rear end F-450 and had little more torque with it but other than that it's not much different that my truck. My 06 F-250 got about the same mpg's pulling my trailer as my 08 does. I am not weired about it. I just going to drive it like it's built for. thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Fordsonly
New User
Originally Posted by jasfaa
Northland, the 450 definitely gets bad mileage but you are in flat country (IOWA). Throw some mountain passes and a few other things along with the weight and you could be getting as low as 5 mpg real quick. The worst part is with all of the engineering the mileage keeps dropping from Ford. First the 7.3, great motor. Then the 6.0, gets more power with a few modifications including better headbolts for the headgasket problem. Now we have a 6.4 liter motor that dropped the mileage even more and has less power and worse fuel mileage than a tuned 6.0. I also did not buy this thing for fuel mileage but it is dissappointing that the mileage keeps decreasing with each new vehicle while the other manufacturers seem to at least sustain their mileage.

I had heard that the 450 was de-tuned compared to the 350. Do you have any opinion on that?

The F450 has the same power ratings as any F350/250 unless you select 4.88 rearend with a manual tranny.Then it has 300hp/600tq. All manufacturers have dropped some mpg because of the new emissions.(regen cycle etc.) I was pumping fuel the other day and a new duramax (LLM)pulled up next to me. We started talkin and he claimed he was getting 24 mpg. I almost laughed. I new what I was dealing with so I didnt really say much else to him. You must be talkin to this guys like this if you think mpg by other manufacturers has not dropped because of emission controls.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Fordsonly
New User
Originally Posted by bf250
i think all the mpg threads just shows there is a big market out there for those who want a full size truck and good mpg.

relating that more, not everyone who wants a full size wants it to pull 10k pounds, some just like trucks (like me), others may just haul things or use it to have things in the back.

so it would be nice is ford responded to this by having a full size truck with a higher mpg, lower power diesel in it. it would be cool if they offered 2 versions of a diesel in the superduty, 1 that is for pulling and one that is weaker on the power but got higher mpg. that being said with just me thinking mpg is directly related to power.

Agree yes and no. Yes some people just like trucks and what good mpg. That is what the diesel powered f150 will be for in 2009.And no they should not offer a economy diesel in the superduty. The name says it all SUPERDUTY. Plus the truck is just to heavy for economy. The f150 diesel will be there answer. It will get better mpg than the superduty but it was not designed specifically for this reason. Designed more for people who want a diesel truck but not as big.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 PM
blazeone
Junior User
Originally Posted by kimminau2
I would agree, for the first 500 miles. After that start giving it a good workout. I have owned alot of vehicles and trucks and it seems that the ones that were broken in soft, were always soft and tended to have more problems later on. Just my .02.
That's what I'm talking about

Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fordsonly
The F450 has the same power ratings as any F350/250 unless you select 4.88 rearend with a manual tranny.Then it has 300hp/600tq. All manufacturers have dropped some mpg because of the new emissions.(regen cycle etc.) I was pumping fuel the other day and a new duramax (LLM)pulled up next to me. We started talkin and he claimed he was getting 24 mpg. I almost laughed. I new what I was dealing with so I didnt really say much else to him. You must be talkin to this guys like this if you think mpg by other manufacturers has not dropped because of emission controls.
Actually I confirmed today the F450 is detuned compared to the F350 and F250 and as far as mileage my father in law has a chevy and it did not drop compared to his 2005 model. It is not 24 MPG which I agree is absurd

Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
the F450 with the 4.88's is detuned.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:26 AM
97squarebody
Senior User
Hello all;

If you get a stick and/or 4.88 gears in a F450 you get the detuned version. Only one of the above options is needed, then you get the detuned truck.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM
farnorthdan
Junior User
Agreed...if you can't afford fuel to drive full sized truck get something smaller with better mileage. I've got 08 F250 PSD CC and am only getting 10.3 mpg hand calculated, not very impressive for a PSD but the power is...impressive. Traded in 97 PSD which regularly got 16-18 mpg. I've been reading threads here which mention reflashing the computor with factory update. I'm hoping this helps with the mileage, has anyone had this done and does it help at all?

Dan

Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 AM
BASSHUNTER
Mountain Pass
I work for Yamaha Motor and the Japanese engineers have us break in a new engine at 30 miles at under 30mph before testing is done..
Originally Posted by Mike SVOR
Most motorcycles say not to take the engine past a certain rpm the first few hours, then not past a certain rpm the next so many miles, and so on. So they like to see rpms limited the first few hours of use.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
I had the reflash done a week ago and have not gone through a tank yet to calculate but the onboard computer has not changed. In fact it shows that I am recieving worse mileage but I have been doing a lot of in town driving lately.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Rockett
Junior User
I am on my fourth tank of fuel and I am only getting 11.2 MPG with mixed driving.

Quick Reply: Ford Chevy and Dodge MPG