1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Help with 1990 Ranger Starer Solonoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM
90rangerguyNC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with 1990 Ranger Starer Solonoid

Where does the thin wire that goes onto a threaded post go on the top silver post or the bottum copper post?

When I try to start the truck i hear a loud constant click coming from the solonoid. Can I check this by jumping the solonoid from post to post?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The thin wire, should be red with a blue stripe goes on the top little post. If it still doesn't work try the other little post. What you can do is, remove the wire going to the starter and hook a test light between that post and ground. Try the starter, if it lights up you are getting power correctly. I'm assuming this isn't a factory solenoid so it will have 2 little posts, try switching to the other post. Try it again. From there I would check the battery.

Matt

Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 PM
90rangerguyNC
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The batt in the truck will not hold charge. I had it hooked to another truck through jumper cables. I am going to try a new batt tommorow. If that doesnt work im going to change the relay solonoid. Is there also a solonoid on the starter? And if it was bad would I get the click?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:23 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's your battery. If it won't hold a charge, it's not going to have the power to start an engine. Once you replace the battery take a test light and connect it between the hooked ground cable and the negative terminal. This will test to see if you have drain or a short. If the light comes on you have something draining the battery; pull and replace a fuse at a time to isolate where the drain is coming from. The BII only came with a 2.9L so the solenoid will be on the fender, none on the starter. Usually a trashed solenoid doesn't do anything.

Matt